Today I'm gonna cook Brown Bread Ice Cream.
|For bread crumbs|
|Dried bread cubes||100 Gram (small cubes)|
|Butter||45 Gram (3 Tbsp)|
|Sugar||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (125 ml)|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon (5 ml)|
|For ice cream base|
|Whole milk||1 Cup (16 tbs) (250 ml)|
|35% cream||2 Cup (32 tbs) (500 ml)|
|Dry skim milk powder||2 Tablespoon (30 ml)|
|Brown sugar||3 Tablespoon (45 ml)|
|Corn syrup||2 Tablespoon (30 ml)|
|Creme fraiche/Sour cream||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Egg yolks||5 Large|
|Sugar||2 Tablespoon (30 ml)|
|Vanilla extract||2 Teaspoon (10 ml)|
|Whiskey||1 Tablespoon (Optional, 15 ml)|
FOR CARAMELISED BROWN BREAD CRUMBS:
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF).
2. In a pan, heat the butter over medium heat until it starts to brown.
3. Remove from heat and stir in the bread cubes, sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
4. Spread on a baking sheet and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until the bread cubes are toasted and caramelized.
5. Cool completely.
FOR ICE CREAM BASE:
1. Heat the milk, cream, milk powder, brown sugar, corn syrup, crème fraîche, and salt in a saucepan to 160ºF.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and white sugar.
3. Gradually pour some of the warm milk mixtures into the yolks, whisking constantly as you pour.
4. Pour the warmed yolks and milk back into the saucepan and maintain 70ºC (160ºF) while stirring for 25 minutes. (alternately just bring mixture to 77ºC or 170ºF, and follow the rest of the recipe).
5. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla and whiskey, if using.
6. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, preferably overnight.
7. Freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
8. Once ½ way churned, fold in about two-thirds of the bread crumbs, reserving some as a topping for service.
9. Serve and Enjoy!