Lemon Curd And Meringue Non Dairy 'Ice Cream' Recipe. OK we get it, this isn't an ice cream recipe, but ice cream recipe conveys the idea of what's happening here faster than any other phrase. This non dairy frozen dessert recipe is just so good. The meringue folded into the lemon curd and then frozen is just amazing in flavour and texture. As for butter being 'dairy' yes it is, OK - But butter has such a low lactose content, that pretty much anyone with an intolerance can consume it. Added that the quantity is so small per serving, this would qualify under even the most stringent rules as 'lactose Free'.
|Egg yolks||3 Large (lightly beaten)|
|Sugar||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||125 Milliliter|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Butter||2 Tablespoon (cut into chunks)|
|Egg whites||3 Large|
|Cream of tartar||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||3/4 Cup (12 tbs)|
For Lemon Curd:
1. Whisk the egg yolks, salt, and sugar in a heatproof bowl.
2. Set the bowl over a pot of barely simmering water.
3. Whisk occasionally until the mixture is warmed through.
4. Add the lemon zest and juice; gently stir until a curd forms slightly thicker than a runny egg yolk.
5. Remove the bowl from the pot and whisk in the vanilla extract, and butter.
6. The curd will thicken and become creamy.
7. Place the bowl in bain marie to cool quickly.
8. Whip the egg whites until foamy, while continuing to whip add the cream of tartar
9. Continue whipping until soft peaks form, and sprinkle in the sugar.
10. Continue whipping to form a thick, glossy meringue.
11. Fold the meringue into the lemon curd.
12. Cover and freeze until it firms up before serving.
13. Serve and Enjoy!