Let's talk about this amazing spice blend. This Kolhapuri masala is made by roasting coconut, onion, garlic, cumin, peppercorns, poppy seeds, triphal, peppercorns, fennel seeds, sesame seeds, dagad phool, javitri, bay leaves, star anise, black cardamom, green cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, turmeric, asafoetida and red chilies! This stellar blend goes on to make some great recipes like Mutton Chicken Kolhapuri.
|Fresh coconut||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm)|
|Khus khus/White poppy seeds||1/2 Tablespoon|
|Cinnamon stick||2 Inch|
|Black mustard seeds||1/2 Tablespoon|
|Indian gooseberry||1 Tablespoon (Triphal or Teppal)|
|Cumin seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Sesame seeds||2 Tablespoon|
|Fennel seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Coriander seeds||2 Tablespoon|
|Fenugreek seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Javitri||1 (outer covering of Mace)|
|Dagad phool||1 Teaspoon (Black Stone flower)|
|Chillies||25 Gram (Begde Chillies)|
|Kashmiri chillies||25 Gram (Shankeshwari Chillies)|
1. To prepare the Kolhapuri masala, roast the coconut, followed by the onion and remove.
2. Add in all the spices, roast and remove.
3. Add in the chillies, roast and remove.
4. Grind together using water as required.
5. Store this masala in the fridge or freezer if making ahead.
6. Use as required.