Make this luscious and authentic Vindaloo or Vindalho paste made with Red Kashmiri chillies, ginger garlic, peppercorms, cumin and vinegar, perfect for chicken, pork or seafood. This is a Goan specialty with Portuguese Influence.
|Kashmiri red chillies||20|
|Cinnamon stick||1 Inch|
|Cumin seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Black mustard seeds||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Ginger||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Garlic||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Red wine vinegar/Malt vinegar||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) (goan)|
|Water||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Clean and deseed the Chillies.
2. Soak the Kashmiri Chillies in hot water fir 1 hr to overnight for 2 reasons A) I feel much better knowing that the chillies have been cleaned by immersing in hot water and B) Soaking the skins makes for a much better texture in the Vindaloo paste.
3. First process all the dry ingredients like the Cinnamon, Cloves, Cumin seeds, Peppercorns & Mustard seeds.
4. Add the Turmeric powder.
5. Add the fresh Ginger & Garlic.
6. Add the soaked chillies in batches and process.
7. Add the Vinegar and the rest of the chillies and keep processing.
8. To thin out this masala and get it nice and smooth add the water that the chillies were soaked in or regular water.
9. Store it in an air tight container and use as required.