Learn how to make Authentic Sri Lankan Chicken Curry at home with Chef Smita on Get Curried. This Sri Lankan chicken curry is one of the most delightful supper to make. Served with some malbari paratha, it might just be your go to meal.
|Chilli powder||2 Tablespoon|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Coriander seed powder||2 Tablespoon|
|Curry powder||2 Tablespoon (Sri Lankan)|
|Paprika powder||1 Tablespoon|
|For the curry:|
|Vegetable oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Cinnamon stick||1 Inch|
|Onion||1 , chop|
|Ginger sticks||1 Inch , chop|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm) , chop|
|Green chillies||4 , chop|
|Chopped lemon grass||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Tomato||1 , chop|
|Srilankan curry powder:|
|Coriander seeds||50 Gram|
|Fennel seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Cumin seeds||30 Gram|
|Fenugreek seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Cinnamon stick||1 , broken|
|Cardamom seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Dried curry leaves||2 Tablespoon|
FOR SRILANKAN CURRY POWDER:
1. Dry roast the coriander, cumin, fenugreek and fennel seeds in a frying pan over a low heat, stirring constantly. Do not allow to burn.
2. Cool and place the spices in a grinder with the cinnamon stick, cloves, cardamom and curry leaves. Blend to a fine powder. Store in an airtight container.
FOR SRILANKAN CHICKEN:
1. Add the Chicken to a bowl.
2. Add chilly powder, turmeric powder, coriander seed powder, Sri Lankan curry powder, paprika powder and Salt(According to taste).
3. Massage the Chicken generously with all the spices and let it sit in the marination for about 15-20 Minutes.
4. Heat the pan with coconut oil.
5. Once the oil is heated, add cinnamon, cloves and green cardamoms.
6. Once the spices start releasing the aroma, add onion and saute it till the onion turns golden brown.
7. After the onion have browned, add ginger, garlic and green chillies. Saute it for a few seconds.
8. Add curry leaves and lemon grass which will give a slight sharp and tangy taste to the Sri Lankan Chicken Curry. Saute it for about 30 seconds.
9. Add tomato, saute till the tomatoes look soft and cooked.
10. Add the marinated chicken into the pan and saute it for around 5 Minutes.
11. Add coconut milk and water, mix well with the chicken.
12. Let the curry cook for 20 Minutes.
13. Serve it in a bowl with some malbari paratha for the perfect meal.