I love trying new recipes! Recently I saw quite a few Chicken Angara recipes floating on the internet. This had been a staple in most Mughlai restaurants in India but I never tried making it before. I recipe developed this a few times before I thought it was perfect to share with you.
The most exciting part of this dish is that its finished off with the smoky aroma of burning coal, similar to how I smoked my Dal Bukara. In addition to that it uses a homemade Chilli, Onion Cashew paste. Simply amazing ingredients, give it a try!
|Kashmiri chillies||5 , soaked (soak in hot water)|
|Sliced onion||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Raw cashews||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cream||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chicken||1 Kilogram (about 2.2 lbs)|
|Yogurt||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Ginger garlic paste||3 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Chilli powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Coriander powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Cumin powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Water||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Oil||1 Cup (16 tbs) , divided (in total)|
1. Soak the chillies in hot water for 30 mins to overnight, when the skins are soft, remove the stems and puree. This should yield 4 tsps of chilli paste.
2. Fry the onions till golden brown and then puree with a little water as required. This should yield 4 tsp of fried onion paste. Be sure to save the oil.
3. Blanch the tomatoes in hot water till the skins split, remove and puree this should yield 1 cup.
4. Grind the cashews with half the cream to make a paste. This should yield 4 tsps of cashew paste.
5. Marinate the chicken pieces with salt and pepper, yogurt, all the powder spices, 2 of the 3 tsps of ginger and garlic paste and add half of the chilli paste and mix well. Leave aside for 30 mins to overnight.
6. Heat some of the oil that the onions were fried in and add the last tsp of ginger and garlic paste and saute for a few seconds.
7. Add all the chicken and allow to lightly brown on one side before flipping over.
8. Scrape in all the leftover marinade and cook for about 10 mins.
9. Add the rest of the chilli paste and onion paste and stir.
10. Add the Tomato paste.
11. Once it thickens add the water and salt to taste.
12. Cook the chicken till tender.
13. Turn the heat off and add the cashew paste.
14. Add the rest of the fresh cream and stir.
15. Serve and enjoy!