I've never been a fan of Guavas growing up, to be honest, but they have started to grow on me as I get 'older' and my palette is more 'sophisticated' Guava Cheese, also known as Perad is a famous Christmas time sweet to make as part of the traditional Christmas platter or 'Kuswar'. This year I decided to make this myself and I was shocked how easy it was! I wasn't able to find Indian Guavas, but I found some Eqyptian ones that looked promising so I decided to use these. To make this a little different, I added some red chilli powder. In India is quite normal to eat the fruit with lemon juice and chilli powder, so this is reminiscent of that.
|Ripe guava||700 Gram (Yields 1.5 cups of paste)|
|Sugar||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Lime||1/2 , juiced|
|Red kashmiri chili powder||1 Teaspoon|
1. Wash, and cut your Guavas and place on a trivet in a pressure cooker.
2. Cook for 2 - 5 mins depending on the ripeness.
3. Remove and add to a blender and blend.
4. Strain the mixture and measure.
5. Add the paste to a pot and add equal quantities in cups of sugar and allow the sugar to melt.
6. Add the lime juice.
7. Add the optional chilli powder.
8. Cook this for about 17 mins.
9. Add the butter.
10. Remove and pour into a greased dish and allow to set.
11. Once set, cut and remove and store in an airtight container.
12. Serve and enjoy!