This Turkey has been given the royal Jerk treatment. Turkey is first brined, then slathered in Jerk marinade and roasted. Here are the ingredients and steps to make this recipe!
|For jerk marinade:|
|Oil||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vinegar||1/3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (about 60 ml)|
|Dark soya||1/3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Lime juice||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Orange juice||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|All spice berries||3 Teaspoon (these spice berries are also called Jamaican all spice)|
|Salt||3 Teaspoon (or to taste)|
|Ground black pepper||1 Tablespoon|
|Brown sugar||1 1/2 Tablespoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1 1/2 Teaspoon|
|Coriander powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Spring onion stalks/Scallions||3 Small (about 13 cup chopped)|
|Chopped fresh ginger||2 Tablespoon|
|Chopped onion||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Garlic cloves||3 Large , chop|
|Scotch bonnet peppers||3 (substitute habanero, Jamaican pepper)|
|Fresh thyme leaves||2 Tablespoon|
|Salt||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Marinade||2 Teaspoon (Jerk marinade, see the recipe ingredients above)|
|Turkey||7 Ounce (7.6 kgs or 16 lbs)|
|Garnishes||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Thyme &amp; Grilled Pineapple &amp; Orange slices, optional)|
|Sliced onion||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sliced mushrooms||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Garlic||6 Clove (30 gm)|
1. Prepare the Jerk marinade by blending all the ingredients together.
2. Prepare the brine and brine the turkey for about 24 hrs, making sure to turn it halfway through.
3. Drain and dry the turkey completely.
4. Reuse the slices of limes and oranges by placing in the cavity for flavor.
5. Marinate the skin of the bird on both sides, in the cavity, and under the skin.
6. Add some veg to the bottom of the pan so it can flavor the gravy.
7. According to the weight of this bird, this will cook for 4 - 4.5 hrs unstuffed.
8. Cook covered for the first hour and then cook uncovered.
9. Place a piece of foil on the top of the bird as that is the part that tends to over brown.
10. Turkey does not really need to rest as meat does, but you don't want to be carving a super hot bird either.
11. Serve and enjoy!