Vanilla sugar is so expensive to buy but so easy to make at home. You need only two ingredients one being sugar, which you are sure to have, and the other being vanilla beans, which is good to have cause it is black gold in the world of cooking. Watch this video to learn step-by-step directions and tips on how to make your own homemade vanilla sugar. These make wonderful gifts for your friends and family who love to bake and is a must have staple in your pantry!
|Granulated white sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Vanilla bean pod||1|
1. Place sugar into an air tight container.
2. Bruise vanilla bean pods by bending and twisting the vanilla bean with your hands.
3. Open the vanilla bean with a knife by splitting down the middle. Scrape out some of the seeds by running the back of the knife down the inside of the vanilla bean pod.
4. Place the vanilla bean pod and the seeds into the container with the sugar. (I like to roughly cut my vanilla bean pod into smaller pieces to help liberate some of the vanilla flavor into the sugar)
5. Once the two pods are sliced open, cut into smaller pieces. Put the lid onto the container and shake.
6. Your vanilla sugar will be ready in a couple of weeks. Once a day or so shake the container, to help mix everything together. This will make your vanilla sugar taste good.
7. You can use the sugar straight from the container, and you can even add a little more sugar as you use some of the vanilla sugar. (You will know the vanilla sugar is done because the sugar won’t be white anymore, it will be a lovely off white color with lots of specs of vanilla beans throughout the sugar. One tablespoon of finished vanilla sugar has the flavor of 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract.)
Vanilla beans should be soft and pliable when purchased. Do not purchase beans that are hard. The beans should be fat, shiny, and maybe even have some white residue on them. The residue is vanilla, and it s wonderful indicator of the good flavor inside the beans.
If you are going to use the seeds for one recipe, consider making vanilla sugar out of the pods that you will have left over from that recipe.
Serving size Complete recipe
Calories 1561Calories from Fat 3
% Daily Value*
Total Fat %
Saturated Fat %
Trans Fat 0 g
Total Carbohydrates 403 g134.3%
Dietary Fiber 2 g8%
Sugars 400 g
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet