Top 5 Food Preparation Techniques
Derek Allen talks about 5 different but essential tips that one must pay attention to for a delicious meal and for fast and efficient cooking:
• Knife skills are very important. If your items are cut and diced into consistent pieces, they look better, cook consistently and have a great plate and eye appeal.
• Make sure you have everything before you start cooking. Don’t fumble halfway through the recipe because of missing ingredients. Line your ingredients and kitchen tools up properly before you start cooking. As the French call it, have everything ‘mise en place’ – everything in its own place.
• Keep your pantry well stocked. It doesn’t mean you have to have every herb and spice from around the globe. Think of the stuff that you like in your dish, ingredients that you use most or want to try out. Keep your pantry well stocked with often used and your favorite ingredients.
• Give top priority to cleanliness in the kitchen and food safety. You don’t want anyone getting sick after tucking in a well cooked meal. Follow safety instructions and rules especially while cooking animal products that are perishable and prone to bacterial infestation.
• Plan and go over your dinner or lunch preparation. Time your cooking to the arrival of the guests and keep every item prepped up and ready to be served so that everything goes smoothly without stressing you out.