Organic soybean or organic soya bean refers to organically cultivated soybean, which is a crop of the legume family, widely cultivated in various regions of the world for its bean, which has a variety of uses and is a good source of fat and protein. Most part of the world’s soybean crop is used to extract vegetable oil, while the rest is consumed in natural form or in the form of numerous processed foods.
What is Organic Farming?
Organic farming involves cultivation of crop by totally natural methods like biological pest control, green manure and crop rotation. This is in contrast with non-organic farming which uses artificial pesticides, insecticides, and plant growth boosters like hormones, genetically modified organisms and food additives which are known to cause many detrimental effects in the human body, and are also hazardous for the environment.
Benefits of Organic Soybeans
- Organic soybean is an excellent source of protein, and various soybean products are a low cost protein alternative for people who do not consume meat.
- Soybean is mostly used for its oil, and soybean oil is widely used as a cooking medium.
- Soybean is also a rich source of other essential nutrients like molybdenum, iron, phosphorus, calcium and dietary fibre. It is also rich in vitamins B1, B2, B6, E and folic acid.
- Soybeans are known to reduce LDL or bad cholesterol and thus reduce risk of heart disease.
- Soybean consumption is known to lower risk of cancer, and studies associate lower levels of breast cancer and prostate cancer in Asian countries with its higher consumption here.
- Organic soybean is free from harmful effects of pesticides and insecticides. Non-organic versions may contain residues of disease causing chemicals left on the produce which may be consumed by people.
- Organic soybeans are cultivated without polluting the environment with harmful chemicals and toxins.
Organic Soybean Recipes
Organic soybeans can be consumed in the form of various delectable soybean dishes. Here are some examples-
- Soy Milk: It is a beverage prepared by soaking soybeans and then grinding them along with water.
- Soy Sauce: It is a condiment made by fermentation of soybeans, which is often used as an ingredient in dishes of East Asian cuisine.
- Natto: It is a Japanese breakfast food made by fermenting soybeans with bacillus subtilis. It is an excellent source of probiotics and protein.