Gallstones diet is recommended to the people with stone formation in their gallbladders. It is gallbladder disorder that is characterized by the formation of solid lumps of matter. These lumps usually measure more than 2 cm in diameter. It is suggested to consult a physician and to start a gallbladder diet, if any symptoms of gallbladder disorder are observed in the body.
It is proved that infrequent meals and excessive fatty foods stimulate the formation of stones, hence a balanced diet should be adopted so that it may contribute to a healthy gallbladder.
Causes of Gallbladder Disorder
A digestive juice called ‘Bile’, produced by the liver, is usually stored in the gallbladder. Consumption of fat (in limited quantities) allows the gallbladder to squirt and transfer the bile into small intestine. The function of bile in small intestine is to break the fat for easy digestion. Therefore, extremely bland food or no-fat food results in stagnant bile that stimulates the formation of gallstone. However, it is not recommended to eat excess fat, but intake of fat should be balanced in everyday diet.
Here are some of the major factors that encourage the development of stones in gallbladder:
- Infrequent meals and no-fat meals leads to gallbladder disorder.
- Contraceptive pills and therapy for hormone replacement often increases the risk of gallstones.
- Cholesterol-lowering drugs lead to gallbladder disorder.
- Excess weight, constipation and even certain food-sensitivities also cause gallstones.
- Other digestive problems lead to unhealthy gallbladder.
In order to avoid the disorder of gallbladder a healthy gallstones diet is recommended.
Gallstones Diet Recommendations
A balanced and healthy diet prevents formation of gallstone. Here are certain suggestions:
- Foods containing animal fats should be consumed in limited amounts. Such foods may include red meat, egg yolk and organ meat.
- Whole milk, butter, cheese and even baked items such as cakes and biscuits should be limited in the diet due to excess fat.
- Added sugar should be cut down from the regular diet.
- Plenty of vegetables and fruits (pear, grapes, and grapefruit) should be consumed generously.
- Foods rich in Vitamin E and C such as nuts should be included in the gallstones diet.
- Brown rice and whole-grain cereals should be included
- Breakfast should not be skipped and meals should be regular.
- Bitter foods are digestive helpers, hence watercress, endive, artichokes along with spices such as rosemary and turmeric should be included in the diet.
- Limit the intake of tea and coffee. Lemon juice with water should be consumed daily before breakfast.
Gallstones Diet Benefits
- It helps in relieving flatulence that is usually associated with gallstones.
- The formation of gallstone reduces to an extent.
- Generally, gallbladder gets infected due to presence of stones. This condition known as ‘cholecystis’ that is treated with antibiotics. This healthy diet helps in relieving this situation as well.
- Reduces abdomen pain and inflammation of gallbladder lining.
- Nutritional diet helps in overall body health as well.
- To encourage flow of bile that flushes out gallstone, it is recommended to consume 1 tea spoon of cold-pressed olive oil along with juice of one lemon daily.
- A cup of tea prepared with liquorice, dandelion root and lemon balm consumed every hour may ease the pain in gallbladder.