This recipe features brussels sprouts, leeks, bacon, chicken, and balsamic vinegar. The Brussels sprouts and leeks get all caramelized and golden, and pair so nicely with the bacon! Alongside them is a simple balsamic glazed chicken that's made in the Crock-Pot.
|Chicken||2 Pound ((giblets removed, for Balsamic glazed chicken))|
|Olive oil||2 Teaspoon ((for Balsamic glazed chicken))|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon ((to taste, for Balsamic glazed chicken))|
|Pepper||1/2 Teaspoon ((to taste, for Balsamic glazed chicken))|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs) ((for Balsamic glazed chicken))|
|Corn starch||1 Teaspoon ((for Balsamic glazed chicken))|
|Balsamic vinegar||3/4 Cup (12 tbs) ((for Balsamic glazed chicken))|
|Brussels sprouts||20 Medium , quartered ((for caramelized leek and brussel sprouts))|
|Leek||1 Medium , cut into rounds, washed ((for caramelized leek and brussel sprouts))|
|Honey||2 Teaspoon ((for caramelized leek and brussel sprouts))|
|Bacon||3 Ounce ((3 slices, for caramelized leek and brussel sprouts))|
1. Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper in bottom of Crock Pot.
2. Add chicken. Drizzle chicken with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. Pour water into bottom of Crock Pot.
4. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours, or on low for 5-6 hours (or until temperature inserted into thickest part of meat comes to 170F).
5. Cook bacon. Drain fat, but leave any crumbled bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.
6. Whisk together cornstarch, water, and balsamic vinegar.
7. Pour into a small saucepan over medium heat.
8. As it gets warm, it will start to thicken. Whisk, and be careful that it doesn’t burn.
9. It should only take a few minutes.
10. Halfway through cooking time, brush chicken with glaze (or if you’re not going to be home, brush with glaze when you put chicken in at the beginning).
11. Add Brussels sprouts and leeks to bacon pan. Drizzle with honey.
12. Cook over medium heat.
13. When they begin to caramelize, turn the heat down a little if necessary.
14. Cook until slightly browned and caramelized, about 5-10 minutes.
15. Right before serving, brush a little more glaze on the chicken. Crumble the bacon into the Brussels sprouts and combine.
16. Serve and enjoy!
Would be yummy with polenta, potatoes, or a simple pasta.
For more information visit the blog entry Caramelized Leeks and Brussels Sprouts!
Calories 610Calories from Fat 275
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 31 g47.7%
Saturated Fat 8 g40%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 790 mg32.92%
Total Carbohydrates 29 g9.7%
Dietary Fiber 4 g16%
Sugars 13 g
Protein 52 g104%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 2440Calories from Fat 1100
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 124 g190.8%
Saturated Fat 32 g160%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 3160 mg131.68%
Total Carbohydrates 116 g38.8%
Dietary Fiber 16 g64%
Sugars 52 g
Protein 208 g416%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet