Marcus Samuelsson is my husbands favorite Swedish/Ethiopian chef, I add this dish to our holiday menu, but can be used anytime of the year. This is from Marcus' recipe book, Aquavit: and the New Scandinavian Cuisine
|Unsalted butter||1 Tablespoon , softened|
|Orange zest||1 , grated|
|Orange juice||1 Cup (16 tbs) , freshly squeezed|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cinnamon stick||4 Inch|
|Sweet potatoes||2 , sliced vey thin (peeled)|
|Kosher salt||To Taste|
|Fresh ground black pepper||To Taste|
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. Grease a 9 1/2" - deep dish - pie plate or round 2 quart baking dish with butter.
3. Combine zest, juice, cream, honey, cinnamon, and tarragon in medium saucepan and bring JUST to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes. Remove from heat and discard cinnamon sticks.
4. Layer potatoes in pie plate or dish, pouring some cream mixture over each layer and seasoning each layer with salt and pepper. Pour any remaining liquid over last layer of potatoes.
5. Bake 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until potatoes are tender and liquid has been absorbed.
6. Cut into wedges and serve.