Karen Ahmed prepares a moist and flavorful Turkey for any special occasion. Cooking a Turkey can be intimidating to most people but if you follow these simple step by step instructions, you will be very proud of your bird. This turkey is brined in a very simple brine recipe and then flavored with a spiced butter.
|Turkey bird||14 Pound|
|For the brine|
|Water||4 Liter (3 ½ liter|
|Rock salt||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (Soaked in brine and brine discarded)|
|Brown sugar||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lemon||1 Medium , sliced|
|Bay leaves||5 Medium|
|Red chili powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Pepper||1 Teaspoon , freshly ground|
|For the spiced butter|
|Salted butter||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cumin powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm) , roasted|
|Coriander leaves||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) , chopped finely|
|Butter||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Carrot||2 Medium , peeled|
|Coriander leaves||15 Medium , stems cut|
|Green bell pepper||1 Medium , seeded, sliced|
1. In a very large pot or bucket, add the salt and sugar and pour warm water. Mix well till dissolved. Pour the cold water and add the remaining ingredients for the brine.
2. Place the turkey in it and see to it that it is immersed. Cover with a lid and refrigerate for 24 hours.
3. In a large bowl mix the ingredients for the Spiced Butter till well combined. Retain some amount of the spiced butter in another bowl to be used during cooking.
4. Remove the turkey from the brine and place it on a flat work surface. Using kitchen towel pat dry the turkey well from all sides.
5. Using hands detach the skin of the turkey from the meat. Remove any giblets from the cavity and empty it.
6. Slather the turkey inside the skin and on the meat and inside the cavity generously with the spiced butter. Put the turkey in a plastic bag and refrigerate for another 24 hours.
For The Oven
7. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
8. Transfer the marinated turkey into the roasting pan. Spread regular butter all over the turkey on top. Place the carrots, mushrooms, bell pepper, coriander leaves and lemon slices along with the giblets of turkey into the cavity and in the roasting pan.
9. Cover the roasting pan and roast in the preheated oven for around 2 ½ hours. Baste them with the rendered liquid once in a while.
10. After 2 ½ hours remove the turkey from the oven and spread the retained spiced butter mixture on the top generously. Place it back in the oven uncovered for another 30 minutes. Spread the butter one more time on the turkey and continue to cook for another 30 minutes.
11. Remove from the oven and let it sit for a few minutes for the juices to settle before carving to serve.
12. In a serving platter, serve the turkey with mashed potato, salad and breads of your choice.
If the turkey is frozen defrost it before beginning the brining process.
Calories 580Calories from Fat 275
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 31 g47.7%
Saturated Fat 11 g55%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 261 mg10.88%
Total Carbohydrates 7 g2.3%
Dietary Fiber %
Sugars 5 g
Protein 66 g132%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 11600Calories from Fat 5500
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 620 g954%
Saturated Fat 220 g1100%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 5220 mg217.6%
Total Carbohydrates 140 g46%
Dietary Fiber 0 0%
Sugars 100 g
Protein 1320 g2640%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet