My version of "The Beef Wellington Burger". The original is being served up at a place called Hampton's on Sutter in Folsom, California.
|Ground beef||30 Ounce (porterhouse)|
|Kosher salt||To Taste|
|Fresh ground black pepper||To Taste|
|For bacon pate|
|Chopped bacon||10 Ounce|
|Onion||1 Medium , coarsely chopped|
|Carrots||2 Medium , diced|
|Garlic clove||6 , chopped|
|Fresh thyme||1 Teaspoon|
|Chopped chives||1 Tablespoon (a little over)|
|Water||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Apple cider vinegar||1 Teaspoon|
|Soy sauce||1 Teaspoon|
|Brown sugar||1 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1 Pinch|
|For mushroom mixture|
|Portabella mushroom||8 Ounce , pureed|
|Butter||2 Tablespoon , divided|
|Shallot||1 , finely minced|
|Chopped fresh thyme||1 1/2 Tablespoon (or 1 teaspoon dry)|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste|
|Dry vermouth||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) (white wine or sherry)|
|Shallot||1 , finely chopped|
|Cognac||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Reduced sodium chicken stock||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Cracked pepper blend||2 Teaspoon (rainbow pepper used)|
|Worcestershire sauce||2 Dash|
|Lemon juice||2 Teaspoon|
|Dijon mustard||2 Teaspoon|
|Grated parmesan reggiano||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) , freshly grated|
1. Roll meat loosely into 3 equal size patties and pop in refrigerator.
For Bacon Pate:
2. Place a cast iron skillet on flame and cook bacon pieces until nice and crisp, stirring frequently. Remove bacon from skillet and set aside.
3. Turn the heat to low, saute onion and carrot in remaining bacon fat along with bay leaf for 15 minutes or until soften.
4. Add garlic, thyme, and chives. Stir and cook for a minute or until garlic becomes soft.
5. Discard the bay leaf and return the bacon into the skillet. Pour water and blend the mixture into paste.
6. Add apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, and black pepper. Turn the heat to medium and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
For Mushroom Paste:
7. On cheese cloth, put pureed mushroom and squeeze to remove the moisture.
8. Place pan over medium flame and melt 1 tablespoon of butter in it. Add squeezed mushroom, shallot, thyme, salt, and pepper. Stir and cook until the mushroom starts turning brown.
9. Add the remaining butter, let melt then pour dry vermouth. Stir and cook until vermouth evaporates. Turn off the flame and set aside to cool.
10. Place a pan over low flame; melt butter and saute shallot until softened.
11. Pour cognac and boil until reduced by half. Add thyme and chicken stock. Bring to a boil and reduce until just over 1 cup stock remains.
12. Remove and discard the thyme sprigs. Stir in heavy cream and pepper. Continue to boil until 2 cups liquid remains.
13. Add Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, and cheese. Whisk until cheese melts.
14. Preheat grill to medium and grease the flat top with oil.
15. Season patties with salt and pepper, place on grill, season the other side and cook to desired doneness.
16. On plate, spoon mushroom mixture in the middle, top it with burger, followed by bacon pate. Pour sauce around the burger.
17. Serve immediately with puff pastry on top and enjoy!
Calories 1627Calories from Fat 1183
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 131 g201.5%
Saturated Fat 67 g335%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 3032 mg126.33%
Total Carbohydrates 25 g8.3%
Dietary Fiber 5 g20%
Sugars 6 g
Protein 79 g158%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 6508Calories from Fat 4732
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 524 g806%
Saturated Fat 268 g1340%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 12128 mg505.32%
Total Carbohydrates 100 g33.2%
Dietary Fiber 20 g80%
Sugars 24 g
Protein 316 g632%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet