|Baby lima beans||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Pearl barley||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Tomato sauce||8 Ounce|
|Chopped onion||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm) , minced|
|Worcestershire sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Ham||2 Pound , cut into 1/2|
|Gumbo file||1 Teaspoon|
1. Boil 3 quarts of water and stir in beans.
2. Boil the beans and remove them from heat, cover and leave it for soaking overnight.
3. Take another bowl and add barley and pour 2 cups of water over it and leave it for soaking overnight.
4. Drain off barley, add it to a saucepan.
5. Add onions, tomato sauce and garlic and bean along with its liquid into the barley.
6. Tie parsley, peppercorns and bay leaf in a cheesecloth bag and add it to the bean mixture.
7. Boil and cook over low heat for an hour.
8. Take out 1 cup of barley and bean mixture along with ½ cup of cooking liquid and puree it.
9. Stir in remaining ingredients to this mixture and put it back into the pot.
10. Blend well and cook over low heat for an hour more.
11. Serve the Louisiana hot bean porridge with rice.
Serving size Complete recipe
Calories 3114Calories from Fat 355
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 40 g61.5%
Saturated Fat 11 g55%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 4647 mg193.63%
Total Carbohydrates 380 g126.7%
Dietary Fiber 110 g440%
Sugars 60 g
Protein 307 g614%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet