|Granulated sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground hazelnuts||4 Ounce (1 1/4 cups)|
|Ground pecans||4 Ounce (1 1/4 cups)|
|Dry bread crumbs||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (packaged)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Heavy cream||1/2 Pint , chilled (1 cup)|
|Confectioners' sugar||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|For chocolate butter||cream|
|Semi sweet chocolate||8 Ounce , chopped (1 package)|
|Unsalted butter||3/4 Pound , softened (3 sticks)|
|Sifted confectioners' sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Egg yolks||3 Large|
|Seedless raspberry jam||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) (optional)|
|Violets||1 Tablespoon (in assorted colors)|
|Egg white||1 , lightly beaten|
|Granulated sugar||To Taste (as needed)|
1) Make Sugared Violets- Cut each violet with a 1-inch-long stem just before sugaring.
2) With a small craft paintbrush, brush egg white on underside, then top side, of petals until coated.
3) Take a small spoon, hold a violet over bowl, and lightly sprinkle both sides of petals with sugar. Shake off excess and reserving sugar for later use.
4) Place the sugared violets on wire rack on a waxed-paper-covered tray to dry.
5) When violets dry completely, store in single layer in airtight container. Let them dry overnight.
6) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
7) To make Torte Layers: Separate eggs and take a large electric mixer bowl and put whites in it and the yolks in smaller bowl.
8) Beat egg whites until soft peaks form and slowly add 1/2 cup granulated sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
9) Then, beat egg yolks with remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar until thick and light for about 3 minutes and add 1 teaspoon vanilla.
10) Take three (9-inch) round layer-cake pans and line with circles of waxed paper. Add ground nuts, bread crumbs, baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
11) Mix this with yolk mixture. Add one-third of beaten egg-white mixture to yolk mixture and stir to blend.
12) Using a rubber spatula mix together the yolk mixture and egg-white mixture until no white streaks remain.
13) Put this into prepared pans evenly and smoothen surfaces. Bake it for 20 minutes or until surface is lightly browned and is spongy enough. Invert pans on wire racks and cool completely in pans for an about 1 hour.
14) To make filling: In a small bowl beat cream with 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar and the vanilla until stiff peaks form with an electric mixer. Transfer the mixture in another small bowl and chill.
15) To make Chocolate Butter-Cream: In a double boiler, melt chocolate. Keep stir. Turn off heat and cool completely. You can melt chocolate on microwave high for 2 minutes.
16) In a small bowl beat butter with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Fold in chocolate and add confectioners' sugar and salt. Then, add egg yolks, one at a time and beat nicely.
17) To assemble cake: Loosen cake with small-bladed knife and invert pan to release cake layers. Remove waxed paper and put one cake layer on serving plate.
18) Using a flat icing spatula, spread half of raspberry jam evenly on layer and half of filling onto cake layer evenly.
19) Put the second cake layer on first and spread remaining jam and filling on layer. Put third layer on top.
20) Take a pastry bag with 1/4-inch star tip and fill one-third of butter-cream into it. Keep aside. Using the icing spatula, spread remaining two-thirds of butter-cream to cover side and top of cake and smoothen the surface.
21) Pipe a shell border around bottom and top edges of cake. Make eight even intervals on top edge of side cake with tip of knife. Beginning at top edge, pipe shell swag onto side of cake from one mark to the next. Repeat to make eight swags.
22) Garnish the cake by pressing a sugared violet into icing at each junction of swags. Put the additional violets and violet leaves around cake and serve.
Calories 1444Calories from Fat 913
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 105 g161.5%
Saturated Fat 49 g245%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 396 mg16.5%
Total Carbohydrates 121 g40.3%
Dietary Fiber 7 g28%
Sugars 100 g
Protein 17 g34%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 8664Calories from Fat 5478
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 630 g969%
Saturated Fat 294 g1470%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 2376 mg99%
Total Carbohydrates 726 g241.8%
Dietary Fiber 42 g168%
Sugars 600 g
Protein 102 g204%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet