|Sifted cake flour||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Eggs||6 , separated|
|Cream of tartar||1 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Water||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Lemon extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Chocolate cream||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (adjust quantity as needed)|
|Cream caramel brittle||1|
|Walnut halves||1 Tablespoon|
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2) Lightly grease three 9X1 1/2-inch baking pan and line with wax paper and grease paper.
3) In a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
4) In a bowl, beat the egg yolks with water until thick.
5) Add in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating continuously until fluffy.
6) In top of double boiler, melt the chocolate over simmering water.
7) Stir in the egg mixture.
8) Cook, stirring constantly, about 1 minute until mixture thickens.
9) Take the pan off the heat and beat in rum extract or flavouring and vanilla; cool slightly.
10) In a bowl, beat together butter or margarine and add in chocolate mixture very slowly.
11) In a small bowl, beat the cream until stiff and fold into chocolate mixture until no streaks of white remain, set aside
12) In a large bowl, place egg whites and beat with cream of tartar until foamy-white and double in volume.
13) While beating dredge in 1 cup sugar very slowly 1 tablespoon at a time, beating all the time until meringue forms soft peaks.
14) In a large bowl, stir together water and 3 egg yolks and beat until thick.
15) Add in the remaining 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until fluffy, beating continuously.
16) Add in vanilla and lemon extract.
17) Mix the flour mixture in the egg-yolk mixture and fold in meringue until no streaks remain.
18) Pour 1 1/3 cups of batter into each of the baking pans. (Cover the remaining batter and leave aside for 3 more layers of cake.)
19) Smear to edges to make thin layers.
20) Bake layers in the oven for 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
21) Using knife loosen the cake around the edges.
22) Peel off the parchment paper, and invert on racks.
23) Clean the pans, and repeat steps 2, using the remaining batter.
24) Place the cake layers together with 1/2 cup of chocolate cream between each layer.
25) Cover remaining filling and set aside at room temperature.
26) Place the cake in refrigerator until chill.
27) Gently pour the caramel brittle over top of cake, spreading quickly to edge.
28) Spread the remaining chocolate cream on the sides of cake, making deep
swirls with knife.
29) Garnish with walnut halves. Chill until serving time.
30) Before serving, crack candy topping by tapping along cutting lines with a sharp heavy-blade knife, then slice into serving-size wedges.