A delicious filling made with nuts, coconut, poppy and sesame seeds is stuffed into a flaky dough and then deep-fried till crispy. This is also known as Karanji.
|Cardamoms||4 , crush (seeds only)|
|Sesame seeds||2 Tablespoon|
|Poppy seeds/Khus khus||1 Tablespoon|
|Crushed nuts||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (Cashews Almonds & Pistachios)|
|Sweetened desiccated coconut||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Raisins||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) , soaked (soaked in either Rum Brandy or juice)|
|Water||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|For crispy exterior:|
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Warm water||3/4 Cup (12 tbs)|
1. To make the filling, heat the ghee, add the semolina, cardamom seeds, sesame and poppy seeds, nuts, coconut & raisins.
2. Add the sugar, and the water a little at a time.
3. Cool and keep aside.
4. To make the dough, add the sugar and semolina to the flour, add the ghee and work the flour so it resembles breadcrumbs.
5. Add the warm water, mix and knead into a dough for 15 mins.
6. Cover with cling film and allow to rest for 15 – 30 mins.
7. Make small balls of the dough, lightly flour the surface and roll till very thin.
8. Add a tsp of the filling, fold over and press.
9. Press and fold over the dough to seal.
10. Allow these to air dry for at least one hour on both sides.
11. Heat some oil and deep fry till golden brown.
12. Allow cooling completely before storing in an airtight container.
13. Serve and enjoy!