Eve’s pudding is a traditional pudding originating from U.K. and other British countries. It is made of apples and Victorian cake. It is a layered baked pudding having a bed of cooked apples and it is topped with a sponge cake mixture. It has a soft texture at the bottom with a cake like top. It has a dominant flavor of apples.
Eve’s pudding was first made in the 19th century. The first mention was in a cookbook in 1823. There are modifications in the recipe and according to Cassell’s Dictionary of Cookery published in 1870. There are stories which relate the pudding with eve, the first woman.
Ingredients and Preparation
Apples, butter and sugar are the main ingredients for making the filling. The topping cake is made of eggs, self raising flour, baking powder and sugar. Traditionally, the recipe even contained currants, bread crumbs and shredded suet.
Filling is made by cooking apples along with sugar till soft. The topping is made by beating sugar and egg whites. Flour and baking powder is folded in the mixture.
Apple filling is spooned into a flat baking dish. Sponge mixture is poured on the top of the apple mixture and this is baked at 200 degrees C for about 35 minutes.
· Icing sugar is dusted on the top of the dessert before serving
· It is served with custard, whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
· Caramel sauce can also be used as a topping.
· Fresh fruits can also be served along with the pudding.
Health and Nutrition Facts
Serving size – 120 g
Calories – 165 cal, Fat – 8 g, Protein – 6.7 g, Carbohydrates – 28 g, Sodium – 520 mg
· Eve’s pudding is not very high in calories. It is high in fats and provides good amount of protein.
· Sugar can be replaced with zero calories sweeteners like splenda or stevia.
· The quantity of butter can be reduced by stewing the apples as it would cook the apples without fat.
· This dish is high in sodium and the intake should be restricted by people suffering from hypertension and high blood pressure.
· Eve’s pudding is often paired with sherry.