Betty demonstrates how to make Pounded Round Steak with Onion Mushroom Gravy. This is a hearty entrée for family or guests to enjoy.
|Round steak||2 Pound , cleaned and cut into 12 equal size pieces ((remove all the excess fat from the steak))|
|Sea salt||To Taste , freshly ground|
|Flour||1 3/4 Cup (28 tbs) ((1 1/2 cup for dreding + 1/4 cup for the gravy))|
|Peanut oil/Vegetable oil||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Black peppercorns||To Taste , freshly ground|
|Butter||5 Tablespoon ((3 tbsp for sauteeing onions + 2 tbsp for the gravy))|
|Onion||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs) , chopped|
|Portabella mushrooms||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs) , chopped|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
1. On a cutting board, place each piece of round steak and cover with a thick plastic wrap.
2. Pound with a meat mallet until about 3/8-inch thick and well-tenderized.
3. Grind sea salt over both sides of the pounded steak.
4. In a gallon-sized plastic bag, place 1 ½ cups flour.
5. Place salted steak pieces in the bag containing flour, and shake until steak is well-coated with flour, about 4 steak pieces at a time, until all pieces are coated.
6. Line a tray with paper toweling and set aside.
7. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 1 cup peanut oil until it reaches 350 degrees F.
8. Shake excess flour from steak pieces and place them into the hot oil in a single layer. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper.
9. Shallow fry steak pieces until they are brown on the bottom and done halfway through.
10. Using tongs, turn each piece and sprinkle again with black pepper.
11. Cook steaks until browned and completely cooked.
12. Remove the steak pieces to the paper lined tray.
13. Tent the platter with aluminum foil, to keep steak pieces hot while they rest.
14. For the gravy, in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat melt 3 tablespoons butter.
15. Add onions and mushrooms and saute until onion turn transparent. Set aside
16. Pour off oil from skillet in which the steak pieces were cooked, leaving the crisp crumbs from the steak.
17. Add 2 tablespoon butter to the skillet over medium heat and let it melt.
18. Add 4 tablespoon flour and cook the butter and flour, along with the steak crumbs, stirring constantly, forming a roux, for about 5 minutes.
19. Add about 2 cups of water, adding a little at a time, and bring back to a boil, stirring constantly.
20. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until gravy is of desired consistency. Add more water if gravy is too thick. Add more flour if gravy is too thin.
21. Add sautéed onions and mushrooms, to complete the gravy reserving some for serving.
22. Transfer fried steak pieces from paper toweling to a nice serving platter. Spoon Onion Mushroom Gravy over top of steak pieces.
23. Serve immediately, with the remaining sautéed onions and mushrooms at the side.
Calories 1237Calories from Fat 801
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 90 g138.5%
Saturated Fat 26 g130%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 216 mg9%
Total Carbohydrates 49 g16.3%
Dietary Fiber 3 g12%
Sugars 3 g
Protein 55 g110%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 4948Calories from Fat 3204
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 360 g554%
Saturated Fat 104 g520%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 864 mg36%
Total Carbohydrates 196 g65.2%
Dietary Fiber 12 g48%
Sugars 12 g
Protein 220 g440%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet