Cream of Mushroom Soup doesnt need to come out of a can, you can make this from scratch. I will say that cans of soup have their place. I use them in a few recipes. Homemade soup is always best. During the winter soup will keep you warm, and when you are ill, something helps you feel better like soup. Here is one of my favorite types of soup, mushroom soup.
|Dried mushrooms||1 Ounce (any type) (Optional)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Potato||1 Small , diced|
|Onion||1 Cup (16 tbs) , diced|
|Low sodium chicken broth||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Heavy cream/Whole milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. If you choose to use dried mushrooms, soak in heavy cream while you begin preparation on mushrooms. Ideally, these should soak until they are tender.
2. In a medium sized saucepan sauté mushrooms and onions over medium heat.
3. Sauté until onions are transparent and the mushrooms have begun to release some of their water.
4. Add 2 cups of chicken stock and potato. Cover and simmer for about 18 minutes over a medium-low heat.
5. Puree soup in either a blender or with a hand immersion blender until soup is well blended and is fairly smooth.
6. Return soup stock to pot; add heavy cream and heat until the soup is hot all of the way through.
7. You can garnish the soup with a small dollop of sour cream. Chopped fresh chives or fresh dill goes well with this soup.
8. Serve right away.