|Navy beans||1 Cup (16 tbs) , soaked|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Diced ham||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chopped onions||2 Tablespoon|
|Bacon drippings/Drippings from ham||2 Tablespoon|
|Canned whole tomatoes||16 Ounce (1 can)|
|Brown sugar||1 Tablespoon (tightly packed for measuring)|
|Chili sauce/Taco sauce||2 Tablespoon|
1) In a slow cooker, place the soaked beans and water and cook on LOW till morning (the day the soup is to be served).
2) The next day, in a small skillet, sautÃ© the ham and onions in the bacon drippings.
3) To a slow cooker, add the sauted ingredients along with the tomatoes, sugar, vinegar and salt.
4) Cover the cooker and cook on LOW till the beans are soft. This takes about 4 to 6 hours.
5) When it is time to serve, mash the beans a little in order to thicken the soup. Ensure that some beans are left whole.
6) Ladle the hot soup into individual soup plates. Add a dash of chili sauce for flavor and serve while still hot. Makes an excellent appetizer. In case the soup seems too thick, thin it with some boiling water before serving. Also, add some salt if preferred for added flavor.
Serving size Complete recipe
Calories 1073Calories from Fat 366
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 41 g63.1%
Saturated Fat 15 g75%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 3933 mg163.88%
Total Carbohydrates 119 g39.7%
Dietary Fiber 36 g144%
Sugars 21 g
Protein 83 g166%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet