|Pearl barley||2 Ounce (60 Gram /1/3 Cup)|
|Beef stock||2 Pint (1.2 Liters /5 Cups)|
|Dried mixed herbs||1 Teaspoon|
|Lean rump/Sirloin beef||8 Ounce|
|Carrot||1 Large , diced|
|Leek||1 , shredded|
|Onion||1 Medium , chopped|
|Celery stick||2 , sliced|
|Fresh parsley||2 Tablespoon , chopped (To Garnish)|
|Crusty bread||2 (To Serve)|
1. Place the pearl barley in a large saucepan. Pour over the stock and add the mixed herbs. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
2. Trim any fin from the beef and cut the meat into thin strips.
3. Skim away any scum that has risen to the top of the stock.
4. Add the beef, carrot, leek, onion and celery to the pan. Bring back to the boil, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the meat and vegetables are just tender.
5. Skim away any remaining scum that has risen to the top of the soup with a flat ladle. Blot the surface with absorbent kitchen paper to remove any fat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Ladle the soup into warm bowls and sprinkle with freshly-chopped parsley. Serve accompanied with plenty of crusty bread.
Serving size Complete recipe
Calories 1101Calories from Fat 229
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 24 g36.9%
Saturated Fat 8 g40%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 3293 mg137.21%
Total Carbohydrates 132 g44%
Dietary Fiber 15 g60%
Sugars 28 g
Protein 88 g176%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet