I created this video today 8/12/2012 to enter into JB's cooking contest. I got up pretty early to start prepping for the meal. It's my take on the classic "Surf Turf" as seen on many menus over the years. I haven't made this version of barbecued shrimp since way back in the 90's, but I'm so glad I did. I forgot just how delicious this is. The "Blue Crab Crostini" turned out very well. I wasn't sure how the hickory smoke was going to effect the flavor, but I think it was a winner all the way around. Last but not least, the rib eye steaks were cooked just the way my wife and myself like them. Just under medium rare. In hind site, I should have prepared a garden salad or some other veggie to go with the meal, but I'm not sure I would have had room for it anyway ) Oh by the way, after uploading the video to YouTube, I noticed that I used the word "Surf", where I should have used "Turf", lol, I watched that video over and over to make sure I had no mistakes, and BAM! There it was!
|For dill havarti cream|
|Shallot||1 Small , chopped finely|
|Dill havarti cheese||8 Ounce , grated|
|Chopped green onion||2 Tablespoon|
|Unsalted butter||2 Tablespoon|
|All purpose flour||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Half & half||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|For blue crab crostini|
|Crab meat||8 Ounce|
|Heavy cream||2 Tablespoon|
|French bread||2 , sliced in to half|
|Provolone cheese slices||6|
|For barbecue shrimps|
|Fresh gulf shrimp||2 Pound , devein|
|Creole seasoning||To Taste|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|For the barbecue baste|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) , chopped|
|Garlic||2 Tablespoon , minced|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Creole seasoning||1 Tablespoon|
|Lemons||3 , quartered|
|Worcestershire sauce||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sherry/White wine||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Heavy cream||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
1. Prepare the grill.
2. For Dill Havarti Cream : In a pan, melt butter and saute the shallots and green onions. Add the all purpose flour and stir well to prepare a roux like mixture.
3. Gradually add in half and half, stir to mix well making sure there are no lumps. Add salt and pepper to taste. Now add the dill havarti cheese and allow it to melt in the mixture. Set aside.
4. For the blue crab crostini: In a pan, melt the butter and saute shallot and green onion in it.
5. Add the crab meat along with the prepared dill havarti cream and stir to blend the ingredients. Allow to cook for a while.
6. Now add the heavy cream and the sherry. Mix well and allow to simmer.
7. Spread the mixture evenly on the french baguette and top each half with provolone cheese slice. Place the crostini on the grill and cook just until the cheese has melted. Remove and set aside in the oven to keep warm.
8. For the Barbecue Shrimps: In a bowl, put the shrimps and sprinkle with pepper and creole seasoning. Mix well to coat evenly. Set aside.
9. For the barbecue reduction sauce: In a pan, pour olive oil, add the shallots and garlic, saute for a while.
10. Add in the bay leaves, water, creole seasoning, lemon quarters, Worcestershire sauce, salt and sherry. Now add in the prepared shrimp and allow to simmer.
11. After a few minutes, remove the shrimps from the sauce and set aside. Let the sauce simmer for another 15 minutes until is is reduced to a thick syrup like consistency.
16. In another pan, heat olive oil, now add the shrimps which were kept aside. Pour in heavy cream and allow to come to a boil.
17. Add the prepared barbecue reduction to the shrimps and cook until the flavors blend well.
18. Serve the shrimps with prepared blue crab crostini.
Serving size Complete recipe
Calories 5684Calories from Fat 3696
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 420 g646.2%
Saturated Fat 236 g1180%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 5928 mg247%
Total Carbohydrates 178 g59.3%
Dietary Fiber 13 g52%
Sugars 20 g
Protein 324 g648%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet