In this video I show you how to prepare a fried seafood platter, just as it is done up and down the southern states along the Gulf of Mexico! Growing up, my family would occasionally go to some of the best restaurants on the Biloxi beach here in Mississippi, and I would always order the seafood platter, because it had some of everything, and I loved it all, as so many people do. Enjoy the video, and have a little taste of the way its down on the Coast!
|Potatoes||3 , cut for french fries|
|Oil||4 Gallon (For deep frying)|
|Trout||1 , gutted, scaled and filleted|
|Seasoned cornflour||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For coating fish, prepackaged)|
|For hush puppies|
|Buttermilk||3/4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Corn muffin mix||6 Ounce (Jiffy's, 1 box)|
|Garlic powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Sea salt||1/3 Teaspoon|
|Cayenne pepper||1/3 Teaspoon|
|Onion powder||1 Teaspoon|
|All purpose flour||1/3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Chopped green onions||3 Tablespoon|
|Buttermilk||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Milk||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Self rising flour||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Scallops||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Gulf shrimp||3 Pound , shelled, deveined and butterflied (White ones)|
|Cajun seasoning||3 Tablespoon|
1. Prepare the deep fryer for frying as seen in the video.
2. Deep fry the french fries at 350 F potatoes for 2 minutes, take it out, drain on a paper towel. Pack and keep it in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
3. Whisk together eggs with buttermilk in a bowl. Add garlic powder, cayenne pepper, sea salt and onion powder, mix well. Drop in green onions, corn muffin mix, all purpose flour and blend it all well to make the hush puppy batter.
4. Drop in the batter 1 tablespoon at a time in the deep fryer and fry until done.
5. Pull the french fries out of the refrigerator and deep fry.
6. Coat the fish fillets in pre seasoned cornflour and fry in the deep fryer.
7. Mix together milk, buttermilk and cajun seasoning. Put shrimps, scallops and oysters in the mix.
8. Mix cajun seasoning with self rising flour and coat the shrimps, scallops and oysters with the mix. Knock off the excess flour and dep fry the seafood.
9. Fry the crab cakes as well.
10. Arrange all the seafood with the french fries and lemon slices on a platter.