An amazing Po Boy recipe. My official entry to Ballistic BBQ's 2013 grilling contest. Enjoy!
|For smoked onion mayonnaise|
|Yellow onion||2 , sliced|
|Real mayonnaise||2 1/2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Sour cream||4 Ounce|
|Hot sauce||1/2 Teaspoon ((Lousiana Variety))|
|Worcestershire sauce||1 Teaspoon|
|For blackening seasoning|
|Cayenne peper||2 Teaspoon|
|Onion powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic powder||2 Teaspoon|
|White pepper||1 1/2 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1 1/2 Teaspoon|
|Dried thyme||1 Teaspoon|
|For crab cakes|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Chopped onions||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped bell pepper||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped celery||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm)|
|Cooked crab meat||1 Pound|
|Old bay seasoning||1 1/2 Tablespoon|
|Plain bread crumbs||1/3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Bacon grease||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Unsalted butter stick||1 , melted|
|Oil||1 Tablespoon ((For Charring the avocados))|
|French bread||12 Inch , cut into 6 inch pieces|
|Shredded lettuce||6 Ounce|
1. Prepare the grill for cooking.
2. Season onions with salt and sugar. Mix it all well. Put the onions on a perforated tray and place the trays on the grill. Add pecan wood chips to the grill and smoke the onions for half an hour.
4. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a cast iron skillet. Saute the smoked onions and continue to cook until it gets caramelised. Take it off the heat and let it cool down.
5. In a food processor, pulse caramaelised onions. Add mayonnaise, sour cream, hot sauce, worcestershire sauce and ground coriander seeds to the food processor and blend it all together to make smoked onion mayonnaise. Keep it in the refrigerator until required.
6. To prepare blackening seasoning, mix together cayenne pepper, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, white pepper, black pepper and dried thyme. Set it aside.
7. Heat a skillet with olive oil. Saute onions, bell pepper and celery. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and chopped garlic. Put it in a bowl. Add cooked crabmeat and old bay seasoning into the bowl, mix it all well.
8. Crack one egg into the mix. Add breadcrumbs and mix everything together. Make crab patties.
9. Fry the crab cakes in hot bacon grease. Set them aside.
10. Dip shrimps in melted unsalted butter. Coat it with blackening seasoning. Place the shrimps on a griddle and blacken them on both sides, cooking for a couple of minutes on each side. Keep it aside.
11. Scoop out avocado flesh in a bowl. Coat it with blackening seasoning. Char avocado on both side in a skillet with little bit oil. Set it aside.
12. Take a french bread and spread smoked onion mayonnaise on the bread. Spread some shredded lettuce and tomato slices on one half. Arrange crab cakes and blackened shrimp over the tomato slices. Drizzle another round of smoked onion mayonnaise over the top. Top it with blackened avocado. Top it with other half of the french bread to make Po Boys.
13. Arrange the Po Boys on a platter and enjoy.
Calories 4250Calories from Fat 3304
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 370 g569.2%
Saturated Fat 82 g410%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 9877 mg411.54%
Total Carbohydrates 84 g28%
Dietary Fiber 23 g92%
Sugars 15 g
Protein 147 g294%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 8500Calories from Fat 6608
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 740 g1138.4%
Saturated Fat 164 g820%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 19754 mg823.08%
Total Carbohydrates 168 g56%
Dietary Fiber 46 g184%
Sugars 30 g
Protein 294 g588%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet