Chef David shares a wonderful recipe for strata. It's a simple recipe that you can put together in an hour one evening so you can put it in the oven for a quick and easy breakfast the next morning. For those that don't know, strata means 'layers' and so you can probably guess that we will be layering in ingredients. It is mainly egg and cream and bread. You can add other stuff to it to make it to your taste.
|Half n half||24 Tablespoon (11/2 cups)|
|Cracked black pepper||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Cumin powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|French bread||8 Ounce (6|
|Chorizo sausage||8 Ounce|
|Anaheim pepper||1 Medium , roasted, skinned, seeded and chopped|
|Poblano pepper||1 Medium , roasted, skinned, seeded and chopped|
|Cheddar cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs) , shredded (or 11/2 cups (or a blend of Mexican cheese))|
|Bottled salsa||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Canned chunky salsa of whatever brand you prefer, pureed in a blender or food processor)|
|Cilantro||1 Tablespoon , chopped|
1. Cook the chorizo in a skillet and crumble. When cooked, drain on a paper towel.
2. In a bowl, whisk the eggs, half and half, salt, pepper and cumin.
3. Grease an 8”x 8” casserole dish with butter.
4. Next, place a layer of bread on the bottom. Tear pieces of bread to fill any large gaps. Spread the cooked chorizo and then ½ of the cheese on top of the bread.
5. Add a second layer of bread and again, fill any large gaps with torn pieces of bread. Spread the chilies and then the rest of the cheese on the second layer.
6. Slowly add the egg mixture over the bread. The egg mixture will slowly spread throughout the casserole. If all of the egg mixture doesn’t fit, that’s OK. Don’t overfill.
7. Loosely cover with plastic wrap or foil and then place a plate or other flat object over the casserole. Weight with a couple of 12-16 ounce cans. This will help the egg mixture uniformly spread throughout the dish.
8. Place in the refrigerator for eight to twelve hours.
9. When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
10. Bake uncovered for 50-60 minutes, until the Strata is set and the top has browned. The Strata should rise like a soufflé. A knife inserted will come out clean.
11. Allow to rest for five to ten minutes.
12. Cut and serve, garnishing with salsa and cilantro.
This recipe is best made with a lighter French bread, than heavy artisan bread.
If you don’t have time to roast your own peppers, a four ounce can of Anaheim peppers can be substituted.
Calories 474Calories from Fat 265
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 29 g44.6%
Saturated Fat 14 g70%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 1140 mg47.5%
Total Carbohydrates 30 g10%
Dietary Fiber 1 g4%
Sugars 3 g
Protein 23 g46%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 2844Calories from Fat 1590
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 174 g267.6%
Saturated Fat 84 g420%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 6840 mg285%
Total Carbohydrates 180 g60%
Dietary Fiber 6 g24%
Sugars 18 g
Protein 138 g276%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet