In this video, Betty demonstrates how to make a Bacon-White Cheddar-Chicken Sandwich. This is a large sandwich on French bread that can be sliced into individual portions.
|French bread loaf||1 (fresh, soft)|
|Softened butter||2 Tablespoon|
|For caramelized onion|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1 Tablespoon (for caramelizing onion)|
|Purple onion||1 Medium , sliced in|
|Chicken tenderloin||8 (about 1 pounds altogether)|
|Coarse salt||To Taste , freshly ground|
|Fresh ground black peppercorn||To Taste|
|Ground red cayenne pepper||To Taste|
|Flour/Self rising flour||3/4 Cup (12 tbs) (spread in a flat dish)|
|Panko breadcrumb||2 Cup (32 tbs) (spread in a flat dish)|
|Extra virgin olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|For egg wash|
|Eggs||2 , well beaten|
|Water||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Crisp bacon slice||8 (6|
|Cheddar cheese slice||6 (thin slice)|
|Mayonnaise/Tarragon spread||To Taste|
1. Slice bread horizontally into two half and spread 1 tablespoon butter on each.
2. Place a large skillet on medium flame and toast bread buttered side down. Remove from heat and set aside.
For Caramelized Onion:
3. In a small skillet heat olive oil. Separate onion into rings and put them in heated oil. Stir and sauté until caramelized. Remove from heat and set aside.
For Egg Wash
4. In a flat plate, mix beaten egg and water. Set aside.
To Prepare Chicken:
5. Wrap chicken tenderloin with plastic wrap and pound slightly using meat mallet to make it thinner and tenderized. Do it one at a time.
6. Season them with freshly ground salt, ground peppercorns, and cayenne pepper.
7. Now, use tongs to dip each seasoned piece of meat into the flour and coat well. Wash with egg and finally roll in bread crumbs. Set aside on a platter.
8. In a large skillet, heat butter and extra virgin olive oil.
9. Using tongs carefully place breaded chicken into hot oil mixture. It should sizzle, but not be smoking hot. Cook until the bottom side is brown.
10. Turn and cook until browned on the other side and cooked through. Remove from skillet and place on paper towel to drain.
11. On a cutting board, place the toasted bread halves and spread desired amount of Tarragon Spread (recipe link below)/mayonnaise on each.
12. Next, place half of the caramelized onions on each of the two bread halves and top with 4 pieces of cooked chicken pieces.
13. Place bacon slices evenly on top of chicken, followed by 3 thin slices of white cheddar cheese.
14. Pop in 375 degree F oven and bake for about 5-10 minutes or until cheddar cheese is brown and bubbly. Remove from heat and place on cutting board.
15. Cut vertically into serving size pieces and serve as an open-faced sandwich or invert the top half of the sandwich over the bottom half, cut into pieces and serve immediately.
For Tarragon Spread please check out this link - Betty's Tarragon Spread
Calories 578Calories from Fat 194
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 22 g33.8%
Saturated Fat 8 g40%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 460 mg19.17%
Total Carbohydrates 42 g14%
Dietary Fiber 2 g8%
Sugars 1 g
Protein 52 g104%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 4624Calories from Fat 1552
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 176 g270.4%
Saturated Fat 64 g320%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 3680 mg153.36%
Total Carbohydrates 336 g112%
Dietary Fiber 16 g64%
Sugars 8 g
Protein 416 g832%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet