This weekend I did a smoked turkey Monte Cristo on the Weber. This was my very first time ever smoking anything on a Weber and I must say I'm hooked. The temps held steady and the turkey came out awesome.
|Turkey breast||1 Large|
|Apple juice||2 Quart|
|Salt||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Ginger||4 Ounce , cubed|
|Oranges||3 , cut into quarters|
|Ice cubes||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Cold water||2 Quart|
|For egg wash|
|Dijon mustard||1 Tablespoon|
|For the sandwich|
|Whole grain bread slice||2 (7 grain bread)|
|Dijon mustard||2 Tablespoon|
|Sharp cheddar cheese slice||4|
|Spinach leaves||10 Small|
For Brining the Turkey
1. In a pot add the apple juice, salt and brown sugar. Heat on medium and stir till the salt and sugar dissolves. Turn off the heat and let it cool completely.
2. In another large pot put the turkey breast on ice cubes. Pour the cooled apple juice mixture. Add cold water, ginger, whole cloves and squeeze the oranges and put them in the brine. Close with a lid and place in the fridge for at least 18- 24 hours.
To Prep the Grill
3. In the lower rack of the grill place a pan and pour the brine into it. Heat it to 250 degrees F.
For Smoking Turkey
4. On the grill rack place the brined turkey breast and grill for at least 4 hours or till the internal temperature reaches 175 degrees F.
5. Transfer onto a foil and wrap it well. Let it rest for 30 minutes. Slice the turkey and set aside.
For Egg Wash
6. In a wide mouthed dish whisk together the eggs and Dijon mustard till combined.
For The sandwich
7. Spread Dijon mustard on both the slices of bread. Place 2 slices of cheese on each slice. On one slice place spinach leaves and turkey slices. Cover with the other bread and cheese slice.
8. Hold the sandwich and roll it in the egg wash.
9. Heat a frying pan on medium low heat. Place the sandwich on it and cook for around 4 minutes on one side. Flip carefully and cover with a lid. Continue to cook for another 4 minutes or till the bread turns golden brown and cheese melts. Transfer onto a plate.
10. In a serving plate, serve the turkey sandwich with fresh fruits.
Serving size Complete recipe
Calories 598Calories from Fat 249
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 30 g46.2%
Saturated Fat 11 g55%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 2774 mg115.58%
Total Carbohydrates 46 g15.3%
Dietary Fiber 8 g32%
Sugars 12 g
Protein 43 g86%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet