I was just blown away at the flavor of these BBQ Chuck Roast sandwiches (Chuckies) The flavor is true southern style bbq at it's best! I'm sure there are many bbq sauces that would work well with this, but the Coakley's BBQ sauce was spot on with the other flavors going on in this cook! Between 1-10 on great tasting BBQ, I will have to give this a solid 10! Give it a try, and see what you think.
|Chuck roast||4 Pound|
|Peanut oil||6 Tablespoon|
|Salt & pepper||To Taste|
|For the rub|
|Packed brown sugar||2 1/2 Tablespoon|
|Dry mustard||2 Teaspoon|
|Onion powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Dried basil||1 1/2 Teaspoon|
|Ground bay leaves||1 1/2 Teaspoon|
|Ground coriander seeds||3/4 Teaspoon|
|Ground savory||3/4 Teaspoon|
|Ground thyme||3/4 Teaspoon|
|White pepper||3/4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cumin||3/4 Teaspoon|
|Coke||12 Fluid Ounce|
|Maple syrup||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Bbq sauce||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Coakley's)|
1. Prepare the grill for cooking. Bring the temperature up to 250 F.
2. Coat chuck roast with peanut oil. Season with salt and pepper all over.
3. Spread rub all over the roast and then place it on the grill.
4. When the internal meat temperature goes upto 140 F, take the probes out and place the meat on an aluminium pan.
5. Pour coke at the bottom of the pan and the maple syrup over the roast. Place the probe back in the meat, cover the pan with aluminium foil and then put the roast back on the grill. Cook until the internal meat temperature reaches up to 215 F.
6. Pull the pan off the grill and let it rest for about 30 minutes.
7. Pour the remaining liquid in the aluminium pan to a bowl. Chill the bowl for sometime until the fat settles on top. Remove the fat from top. Set the liquid aside.
8. Meanwhile, shred the meat with the help of two forks. Check for moistness of the meat. If the meat is a bit dry, add back the fat skimmed liquid else skip adding the liquid. Season with salt and pepper.
9. Pour barbecue sauce over the meat. Mix everything well.
10. Cover the pan back with foil and place it on the grill. Heat the contents for about 10 to 15 minutes such that everything gets well incorporated. Set the shredded meat aside.
11. Toast buns and place a cupful of shredded meat with barbecue sauce in between the buns.
12. Arrange the sandwiches on a platter and serve.
Calories 626Calories from Fat 178
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20 g30.8%
Saturated Fat 5 g25%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 527 mg21.96%
Total Carbohydrates 67 g22.3%
Dietary Fiber 3 g12%
Sugars 34 g
Protein 45 g90%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 6260Calories from Fat 1780
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 200 g308%
Saturated Fat 50 g250%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 5270 mg219.6%
Total Carbohydrates 670 g223%
Dietary Fiber 30 g120%
Sugars 340 g
Protein 450 g900%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet