This is a jam up killer recipe. One of my subscribers recently sent me a message, and wanted me to watch a video recipe and see what I thought, and also wanted to see me do the recipe in my own style of cooking. I really didn't differ from the recipe much, but I did make a few changes as I prepared the recipe to suit my own personal preferences.
|Top round/Shoulder roast||1 Pound , trim off the fat cap and reserve it|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Peanut oil||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Beef bouillon cubes||2|
|Water||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Granulated onion||1 Tablespoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1/2 Teaspoon|
|For buttery onion|
|Sweet onion||1 , sliced|
|Salted butter||4 Tablespoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|French bread||4 Small|
|Swiss cheese slices||4 , sliced in half|
|Olive oil||4 Tablespoon|
1. Simmer the roast in hot simmering water. Drop in some bay leaves in the pot and continue to cook for an hour and 15 minutes. Place the roast in a container and keep it in the fridge overnight. Reserve the water for making sauce.
2. Slice the roast as thin as possible the next morning. Keep it aside.
3. Heat oil in a skillet, Add trimmings of the roast, render it down for 20 to 30 minutes. Remove the remains of the roast and let the fat remain in the skillet. Add all purpose flour, cook the roux with constant stirring until it reaches the desired colour, approximately an hour.
4. Add bouillion cubes to the reserved water from the boiled roast. Add more water, dissolve the bouillon and gradually add this to the roux, constantly stirring. Throw in onion powder, season with salt and pepper and continue to cook the roux for about 10 more minutes.
5. Put roast slices into the roux and blend it all in. Transfer the skillet to low heat to keep the contents warm.
6. Heat butter in a sauce pan, saute onions in butter. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Simmer for about 7 to 8 minutes or until the onions are tender. Keep buttered onions aside.
7. Spread some mayonnaise on french bread, pile on roast beef with sauce. Arrange swiss cheese slice over the meat.
8. Top with buttered onions. Close with the other half of the bread. Brush some olive oil over the bread. Grill it on a pan by pressing it.
9. Arrange the po boys on a platter and serve.
Calories 1142Calories from Fat 835
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 94 g144.6%
Saturated Fat 23 g115%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 1285 mg53.54%
Total Carbohydrates 41 g13.7%
Dietary Fiber 2 g8%
Sugars 3 g
Protein 34 g68%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 4568Calories from Fat 3340
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 376 g578.4%
Saturated Fat 92 g460%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 5140 mg214.16%
Total Carbohydrates 164 g54.8%
Dietary Fiber 8 g32%
Sugars 12 g
Protein 136 g272%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet