After a lot of turkey, ham, and other holiday food, I was having a real craving for a local coastal favorite in the south, so I decided to make a video of how to make an awesome Shrimp Oyster Po' Boy, just like the one's that are made daily in my region and elsewhere. The shrimp and oysters really take on a restuarant quality by cooking as I show in this video, and the pickle chips really go good as a side to these. Hope you enjoy and try them out :)
|French bread||1 Large|
|Peanut oil||3 Cup (48 tbs) (For Deep Frying)|
|Melted butter||2 Tablespoon (For greasing)|
|Shredded lettuce||8 Ounce|
|Buttermilk||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Whole milk||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Slap ya mama||2 Tablespoon|
|For remoulade sauce|
|Mayonnaise||1 1/4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Creole mustard||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Pickle juice||1 Teaspoon|
|Slap ya mama||1 Teaspoon|
|Tabasco sauce||3 Drop|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm) , minced|
|For pickle chips|
|Pickle slices||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs) , dried in between paper towels|
|Buttermilk||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For Soaking)|
|Self rising flour||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For Coating)|
|Slap ya mama/Seasoning||2 Tablespoon (Cajun Seasoning)|
|For seafood coating mix|
|Slap ya mama||4 Tablespoon|
|Self rising flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Salt & pepper||To Taste|
|Oysters||3/4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Beer||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. In a bowl mix together mayonnaise, creole mustard, pickle juice, paprika, horseradish and slap ya mama seasoning together. Drop in tobasco sauce and mix it all in. Stir in minced garlic. Set the remoulade sauce in the refrigerator.
2. Season self rising flour with cajun seasoning (slap ya mama). Keep it aside.
3. Dip the pickle slices in buttermilk, then coat them with self rising flour, shake off the excess flour.
4. Deep fry the pickles and drain excess oil. Keep the deep fried pickles in the oven at 170 F until everything is ready.
5. Mix together milk and buttermilk together to make buttermilk mix. Season buttermilk mix with slap ya mamma
6. To make seafood coating mix, take self rising flour and mix it with slap ya mama, salt and pepper.
7. Dip the shrimps in buttermilk mix, coat them in self sea food coating mix and deep fry the shrimps.
8. Beat egg with beer in a glass, dip the oysters in the mix, coat it with sea food coating mix and deep fry them until golden brown.
9. Cut the french bread into 6 inch pieces, slice them into half. Spread remoulade sauce on the bread, sprinkle some shredded lettuce and layer with slices of tomatoes, season with salt and black pepper. Arrange fried shrimps and oysters on one half, cover with the other half, pan grill it with some melted butter on both sides, pressing it down with a press.
10. Repeat the same to make other Po'Boys.
11. Arrange the Po Boys on a serving dish with the pickle chips and serve.
Calories 1188Calories from Fat 687
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 78 g120%
Saturated Fat 9 g45%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 3586 mg149.42%
Total Carbohydrates 77 g25.7%
Dietary Fiber 4 g16%
Sugars 14 g
Protein 37 g74%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 4752Calories from Fat 2748
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 312 g480%
Saturated Fat 36 g180%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 14344 mg597.68%
Total Carbohydrates 308 g102.8%
Dietary Fiber 16 g64%
Sugars 56 g
Protein 148 g296%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet