Eating fresh fruits and veggies in season that you purchase locally is good for your health, stimulates the local economy, and helps your communitys sustainability. In this Sustainable Ventura News segment, I catch up with Chef Luis Martinez at the Crowne Plaza Ventura Beachs Nom Tequila Grill who prepares a delicious summer salad with ingredients fresh from a local farmers market!
|Tequila grilled salmon|
|Tequila||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Freshly squeezed lime juice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Freshly squeezed orange juice||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chili powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Minced jalapeno pepper||1 Tablespoon , seeded|
|Fresh garlic||1 Tablespoon , minced|
|Kosher salt||2 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Salmon filets||36 Ounce ((6 filets weighing 6 ounce each used))|
|Strawberry and chipotle vinaigrette|
|Fresh strawberries||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Honey||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Rice vinegar||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Freshly squeezed orange juice||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Freshly squeezed lime juice||1 Teaspoon|
|Sea salt||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||1/4 Teaspoon , chopped|
|Dijon mustard||1 Teaspoon|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Fresh cilantro||1 Teaspoon , chopped finely|
|For the salad|
|Mixed greens||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Spinach leaves||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Arugula leaves||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Raspberries||2 Tablespoon (Optional)|
|Blueberries||2 Tablespoon (Optional)|
|Blackberries||2 Tablespoon (Optional)|
1. In a bowl, combine tequila, lime juice, orange juice,chili powder, jalapeno pepper, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix well
2. Add in the salmon fillets and refrigerate overnight.
3. Prepare the grill and brush the rack with oil to prevent the salmon from sticking.
4. Remove the salmon filets from the marinade and sprinkle well with salt and pepper.
5. Place the filets on the grill and cook for about 3 minutes.Flip and cook for another 3 minutes.
6. For the Strawberry and Chipotle Vinaigrette, In a blender, add strawberries, honey, rice vinegar, orange juicelime juice, salt, garlic, Dijon mustard, cilantro, chipotle and blend well until you get puree like consistency. Gradually pour in the olive oil while blending to emulsify.
7. In a bowl, combine mixed greens, baby arugula, spinach, raspberiies, blackberries, blueberries and the prepared dressing. Toss well.
8. On a serving plate, put some salad and place the grilled salmon on it. Serve.
Calories 1034Calories from Fat 514
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 56 g86.2%
Saturated Fat 7 g35%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 895 mg37.29%
Total Carbohydrates 25 g8.3%
Dietary Fiber 2 g8%
Sugars 16 g
Protein 104 g208%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 6204Calories from Fat 3084
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 336 g517.2%
Saturated Fat 42 g210%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 5370 mg223.74%
Total Carbohydrates 150 g49.8%
Dietary Fiber 12 g48%
Sugars 96 g
Protein 624 g1248%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet