Nutrition Notes: This Mediterranean Diet-style meal is loaded with flavor and dense with nutrients. Save prep time and effort, use bagged, pre-washed organic leaves and whole grape tomatoes," says Registered Dietitian Tamara Duker Freuman, who specializes in medical nutrition therapy for digestive disorders. She is also a gluten free blogger for US NEWS WORLD REPORTS new health page eat run and hosts a popular blog devoted to healthy eating and gluten-free living at www.tamaraduker.com.
If you dont feel like grilling outside (or the weather isnt cooperating), this recipe is just as delicious when prepared using a countertop or stovetop grill. Or, sauté the chicken in a large, hot oiled skillet for about the same amount of time as the grilling instructions. Bake the pitas in a 425-degree oven (or toaster oven) until crisp and golden, about 8 minutes.
|Green valley organics plain yogurt||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Extra virgin olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Extra virgin olive oil||4 Teaspoon (for pitas)|
|Lemon jucie||2 Tablespoon|
|Minced garlic||3 Clove (15 gm) , divided|
|Dried oregano||1 Teaspoon|
|Salt and ground pepper||1 Pinch|
|Chicken breasts||2 Large , halved (halved crosswide to make 4 thin cutlets)|
|Arugula/Baby field green||8 Cup (128 tbs) , prepared|
|Cherry tomato||2 Cup (32 tbs) , halved (lightly salted)|
|Seedless cucumbers||2 Cup (32 tbs) , dice (lightly salted)|
|Red onion||1 Cup (16 tbs) , slice (thinly sliced)|
|Crumbled feta cheese||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Kalamat olives||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) , pitted (pitted and chopped)|
|Pita bread round||4 Large (pocket|
1. Mix yogurt, 3 tablespoons of the oil, lemon juice, 1 of the garlic cloves, oregano, and a generous sprinkling of salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Pour half the yogurt mixture in quart zipper-lock bag; add chicken and let stand at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours. (Can be refrigerated for 2 days.) Reserve remaining yogurt mixture as the salad dressing.
2. When ready to serve, heat a gas grill igniting all burners on high for at least 10 minutes or build a hot charcoal fire. Clean grate with a wire brush and then lubricate well with an oil-soaked rag. Meanwhile, put arugula, tomatoes, cucumbers, onion, feta, and olives in a large bowl. Mix remaining 4 teaspoons of oil with remaining 2 garlic cloves and brush over one side of each pita.
3. Place chicken on hot oiled rack and grill until impressive grill marks form, about 3 minutes. Turn chicken over with a spatula and continue to cook until chicken is just cooked through, about 2 minutes longer.
4. Add pitas, oiled side up, the last 2 minutes of grilling. As chicken comes off the grill, turn pitas and continue to grill until golden brown on remaining side, another 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Place a pita on each of 4 pasta plates. Toss salad with dressing, mounding a portion of salad on each of the pitas. Serve.
Serving size Complete recipe
Calories 2395Calories from Fat 978
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 107 g164.6%
Saturated Fat 22 g110%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 3632 mg151.33%
Total Carbohydrates 223 g74.3%
Dietary Fiber 21 g84%
Sugars 50 g
Protein 123 g246%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet