This Thai-style salad is a lot like som tam, but uses green apples instead of green papaya. Since green papaya can be hard to find, the green apple provides a nice tart flavor and crisp texture that's incredible in this type of salad. I hope you love it!
|Granny smith apple||1 Medium , cut into match stick size pieces|
|Lime||1/2 Medium , juiced|
|Carrot||1 , julienned ((A 4|
|Green beans||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) , cut into 2|
|Shallot||1 Medium , peeled, sliced into lengthwise slices|
|Thai chilies||2 Medium , chopped|
|Grape tomatoes||6 Medium , halved|
|Dried shrimps||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm)|
|Fish sauce||1 Teaspoon|
|Roasted peanuts||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cilantro||1 Tablespoon , chopped|
1. Take 1 medium Granny Smith green apple and cut into match stick size pieces and set it aside in a mixing bowl with juice from 1/2 a lime.
2. Take 1 large Asian carrot and cut a 4-inch piece and further julienne it into match stick size pieces. A medium carrot can be used, a large Asian carrot is not available.
3. Cut a few green beans into 2-inch sections.
4. Peel a shallot and cut it thinly into lengthwise slices.
5. Chop 2 medium Thai red chilies and set them aside.
6. Take a mortar and pestle and put into it the green beans, grape tomatoes, shallots (save a few slices for later), chilies, dried shrimp and garlic cloves. Pound this mixture together till the tomatoes are crushed and the green beans are bruised.
7. Season the mixture with a teaspoon each of fish sauce and sugar. Continue to mix lightly in the mortar and pestle until the ingredients are well combined.
8. Finally add a quarter cup of roasted peanuts and crush them coarsely.
9. In a large mixing bowl combine the contents of the mortar and pestle with the apple and carrots. Add a little of the sliced shallots and toss everything together and give it a final taste.
10. Balance of the flavors if needed and finish off by adding some freshly chopped cilantro.
11. This green apple salad can be served on its own or as a side with some fish or some home-style fried chicken.
The salad made with 1 green apple would give 2 good portions of serving and 3 or 4 side serving portions.
As soon as the apple is cut into pieces, mixing it with the juice of 1/2 a lime at the initial stage is important to prevent the apples from oxidizing.
If you do not have a mortar and pestle, all the pounding of the ingredients can be done in a zip lock bag using a rolling pin.
Calories 146Calories from Fat 41
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g7.7%
Saturated Fat %
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 176 mg7.33%
Total Carbohydrates 23 g7.7%
Dietary Fiber 5 g20%
Sugars 9 g
Protein 3 g6%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 584Calories from Fat 164
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20 g30.8%
Saturated Fat 0 0%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 704 mg29.32%
Total Carbohydrates 92 g30.8%
Dietary Fiber 20 g80%
Sugars 36 g
Protein 12 g24%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet