|Boned chicken breast||1/2 Pound (With Or Without Skin, 225 Gram)|
|Dried shiitake mushrooms||4|
|Short grain rice||2 1/2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Canned bamboo shoots||4 Ounce (115 Gram)|
|Nori seaweed sheet||1/2 , toasted|
|Secondary bonito stock||1 1/4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Soy sauce||4 Tablespoon|
To make plain rice
All recipes call for short-grain rice.
When planning a meal requiring rice, allow at least 1 hour for washing, soaking, boiling, and standing.
Use a heavy, tight-lidded pot with a capacity roughly 3 times the volume of uncooked rice. (Pot should not be too large for amount of rice to be cooked.)
Wash and soak rice in the pot the rice is to be cooked in (or, if you have a rice cooker, in the removable inner tub).
Rice that has been sitting on the shelf will dry out and will absorb more water when boiled than newly harvested rice.
For older, drier rice increase amount of water by 20 or 30 percent.
In general, if rice comes out drier than expected, increase amount of water by 10 percent increments until desired result is achieved.
1. Washing: Cover rice with cold water and gently stir with your hand until water becomes milky. Do not use so little water that you "grind" the rice. Pour off water, add fresh water, and stir. Repeat until water is almost clear. This might take as long as 5 minutes in some cases.
2. Soaking: Add 1.1 cups water for each cup rice. (For older, drier rice increase amount of water by 20 to 30 percent.) Soak for 30 minutes. Soak longer in winter, if desired, but no more than 1 hour. Rice will expand slightly and change from a dull translucent yellow to an almost pure white.
3. Boiling: Bring rice quickly to a boil. Continue to boil for 30 seconds, then reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 12 or 13 minutes. Turn heat to high for 5 seconds, then turn off and remove pot from heat.
During cooking, the lid might clatter from the pressure exerted by escaping steam, and a starchy foam will begin seeping out around the edges. This is as it should be. Do not lift the lid during cooking unless water boils over. If this happens, lift lid slightly until water level recedes, then adjust heat.
4. Standing and fluffing: Without lifting or removing lid, let rice stand for 10 to 15 minutes. This allows rice to absorb the remaining moisture and finish cooking. The rice is not done until after it has been allowed to stand untouched. Before serving, gently fluff rice with a wooden spoon (or rice paddle).
To make Chicken and Egg on Rice
1. Soak mushrooms in warm water until soft (about 1 hour), keeping them submerged by covering with drop-lid, flat pan lid, or saucer. Drain well and discard stems. Cut caps into thin strips. (While mushrooms are soaking, begin preparing rice.)
2. Snow peas: Remove stem and strings and trim ends. Slice lengthwise into thin strips. Blanch in boiling water for a few seconds. Drain.
Bamboo: Wash well and remove any white residue. Slice into julienne strips.
Onion: Cut in half and slice thinly. Chicken: Cut into bite-sized pieces.
3. Combine SAUCE ingredients and bring to a boil over medium heat. Add onions and chicken. Raise to medium-high heat and cook chicken, turning occasionally. When chicken has lost its pink color, add bamboo and mushroom and cook until chicken is done and vegetables are tender-crisp.
4. Beat eggs, frothing as little as possible. When vegetables are tender-crisp, pour in egg in a slow, circular motion (covering as much surface area as possible), sprinkle with snow peas, and continue cooking for 30 seconds until egg is barely set. (Since hot rice will cook egg even more, leave the egg slightly runny.) Do not stir. Let egg spread by itself.
5. To serve, divide hot cooked rice among 4 large, deep bowls (about 1 1/2 cups rice per serving). Gently lay chicken and egg on top of rice and add sauce. Top with a sprinkling of toasted nori seaweed. (If nori has not been pretoasted, toast by lightly passing shiny side over an open flame several times to remove moisture and bring out flavor. Cut into fine shreds with scissors or wrap in a dry cloth and crumble into small pieces.) Serve immediately.