Soft pretzels are a snack found at all sporting events, movie theaters and even your freezer. The crispy outside and soft inside makes this a classic American snack.
|Warm water||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs) ((110|
|Active dry yeast||2 1/2 Teaspoon ((1 packet))|
|All purpose flour||4 1/2 Cup (72 tbs)|
|Butter||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) , melt|
|To cook pretzel|
|Water||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|Baking soda||2/3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Eggs||1 , beaten|
|Sea salt||1 Tablespoon ((Pretzel Salt))|
|For nacho cheese|
|Cheddar cheese||8 Ounce , shredded|
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Jalapeno||3 , finely chopped|
|Ground nutmeg||1/8 Teaspoon|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste|
1. In a large mixing bowl, add warm water, sugar, salt and active dry yeast. Do not stir and allow for mixture to sit for 5 minutes.
2. Drop butter and flour. Using a mixer, with the dough hook on, mix on low speed for a minute or two or until just combined.
3. Turn the mixer up to medium speed and knead dough for about 4-5 minutes or until nice and smooth.
4. Into a greased bowl, transfer the dough and cover with plastic wrap. Place in a warm area for 60 minutes to allow the dough to double in size.
5. Preheat oven to 450 degree F.
6. On greased counter top, drop the dough and cut it into 8 equal parts.
7. Roll the dough into a 20 inch rope, form an upside down "U", bring the ends together and twist them. Then bring the ends to the top of the pretzel. Repeat the process with the other pretzel dough. Place them on a greased and parchment lined baking sheet.
8. In a large pot add water and baking soda. Bring to a boil.
9. Drop shaped pretzel into the boiling soda water, one at a time, and boil for 30 seconds.
10. Take the pretzel out with a spatula and place it back on the baking sheet. Repeat the process for the remaining pretzels.
11. In a small bowl, mix together water and egg.
12. Baste pretzel with egg mixture and sprinkle salt on top.
13. Pop the baking sheet into the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes or until the pretzels are golden brown.
14. Meanwhile for dip, place a large saucepan on medium flame. Add butter and flour in it. Whisk well and cook for 1 minute.
15. Gradually add in the milk and cheese. Stir and cook for about 2 minutes or until the cheese melts.
16. Stir in nutmeg and jalapenos. season with salt and pepper to taste.
17. Serve pretzel with nacho cheese.
You can turn the oven on to the lowest temperature and place the dough next to the warm oven to make it rise well.
If you are not going to make pretzels right away, put dough in a resalable bag and pop it in refrigerator until ready to prepare.
You can sprinkle cinnamon sugar, Parmesan cheese, or anything you like on pretzel.
Calories 690Calories from Fat 252
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 29 g44.6%
Saturated Fat 17 g85%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 9051 mg377.13%
Total Carbohydrates 84 g28%
Dietary Fiber 3 g12%
Sugars 7 g
Protein 24 g48%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 4140Calories from Fat 1512
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 174 g267.6%
Saturated Fat 102 g510%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 54306 mg2262.78%
Total Carbohydrates 504 g168%
Dietary Fiber 18 g72%
Sugars 42 g
Protein 144 g288%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet