The Kitchen Witch demonstrates how to make her Roast Loin of Pork with Wild Rice Stuffing. A dish inspired by Christmas that's perfect for the holidays!
|Boneless pork loin roast||5 Pound (4|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Kosher salt||1 Teaspoon|
|Garlic powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Herbes de provence/Thyme||1 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Kosher salt/(or 6 tablespoons of table salt||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Hot water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Cold water||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Bay leaves||3 , crumbled|
|Whole black peppercorns||1 Tablespoon , lightly crushed|
|Garlic cloves||10 Medium , peeled and lightly crushed|
|For wild rice stuffing|
|Wild rice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Low sodium beef stock||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cooking oil spray||1 Tablespoon (as needed)|
|Chopped button mushrooms||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Diced white onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Granny smith apple||1 , chopped|
|Black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Garlic clove||2 , mince|
|Sherry||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped maraschino cherries||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Softened cream cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Toasted sliced almonds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Fresh rosemary sprig||1 (Optional)|
|Salted butter||1 Tablespoon|
|Beef stock/Pork stock||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste (or 1/2 tsp each)|
For Wild Rice Stuffing:
1. Cook the wild rice in beef stock, covered on low for 45-55 minutes until stock is all absorbed.
2. In a large, wide pan or bowl, dissolve the sugar and salt in hot water
3. Add the Bay leaves, allspice, peppercorns, garlic and 5 cups of cold water; stir to combine
4. Add the pork loin to the brine and cover the container with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 12-24 hours
For Wild Rice Stuffing:
5. In a non stick pan sprayed with cooking spray, saute the mushroom, onion, and apple until caramelized and mushrooms have released their water.
6. Add thyme, pepper, salt, sage, garlic and saute another minute.
7. Pour sherry and simmer for 2-3 minutes or until the alcohol has cooked off.
8. Remove to a medium bowl with the cooked wild rice. Fold in the cherries and almonds.
9. Stir in the cream cheese and mix until everything is well blended. Store covered in a cool place until ready to stuff.
10. Remove the pork loin from the brine and pick the spices off the meat Dry the pork loin thoroughly with paper towel.
11. Preheat oven to 400 degree F.
12. In a bowl, combine garlic powder, black pepper, and herbes de provence. Mix well.
13. Butterfly the pork loin as shown in the video and rub both sides with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with the salt and garlic mixture.
14. Pat wild rice stuffing in a flat layer all over the center of the butterflied roast (as per video)
15. Roll the roast and secure with butcher's twine.
16. Place on a roasting rack in a roasting pan and roast uncovered for 20 minutes.
17. Turn the heat down to 325 degree F and continue roasting for 2 hours or until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 165 degree.
18. When the roast is done, cover with foil and let rest for 30 minutes before carving.
19. De-glaze the pan with sherry and fresh rosemary.
20. Melt the butter into the pan drippings and sherry. Add flour to make a roux.
21. Add the beef stock, salt and pepper to taste. Whisk briskly until the gravy thickens.
22. Slice and serve with the gravy drizzled over all.