This lattice pie episode uses a cooked apple pie filling to help prevent the filling from warping or misshaping the lattice. Use it as a template and customize the filling with a variety of spices, herbs, nuts, and fruits!
|Gala apples||825 Gram|
|Apple cider||10 Ounce|
|Granulated sugar||3 Ounce|
|Ground cinnamon||1/4 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Pie dough||18 Ounce|
|Cheddar cheese||2 Tablespoon , shredded|
For The Apple Filling
1. Peel the apples. Cut them into quarters, core and slice thinly. Set aside.
2. In a small bowl add cornstarch, 1 ounce sugar and 1 ounce apple cider. Mix well till combined to smooth. Set aside.
3. In a pot put in 2 ounces of sugar, 9 ounce apple cider, cinnamon and 2/3rd of the sliced apples. On medium heat bring it to a boil. Pour the cornstarch mixture and whisk continuously till it becomes thick. Remove from heat. Add the remaining apples and mix well till they are all well coated with the sauce. Set aside to cool completely.
For The Egg Wash
4. In a small bowl break the egg. Add very little water and a pinch of salt. Mix well till combined. Set aside.
5. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
6. Divide the pie dough into 2 portions. Roll one portion into a 9 inch sheet and put it into the pie pan. Press gently to create the edges and creases.
7. Roll the second portion into another 9 inch sheet. Using a ruler mark ¾ inch bands and use a pizza cutter to cut the strips. There should be at least 10 or more strips.
8. Once the filling is fully cooled pour it into the pie pan and create a slight mound in the centre leaving at least ½ inch near the edges.
For The Lattice
9. Lay 5 strips across the pie pan over the filling with the longest in the center and smallest on the sides (gradual decrease in size from center to the sides).
10. Fold strips 1, 3, and 5 past halfway. Lay a long strip across the diameter perpendicular to the first set of strips. Place the strips 1, 3, and 5 back to its place.
11. Now fold strips 2 and 4 to around 1/3rd of the pie pan. Lay another strip across perpendicularly. Place them back.
12. Repeat steps 10 and 11 with the rest of the strips alternately to create a lattice all over the pie filling. Press the lattice gently to the pie crust to seal the pie. Cut off the excess dough around the edges (If desired take a remaining strip of the dough and cut it into leaves. Using egg wash glue it to the edges of the crust).
13. Brush the lattice with egg wash. Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top. Bake it in the preheated oven till the crust turns brown and filling is bubbling. Remove from the oven and let it cool till it can be handled before serving.
14. In a serving plate, slice and serve the pie warm.
Calories 538Calories from Fat 162
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 18 g27.7%
Saturated Fat 7 g35%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 325 mg13.54%
Total Carbohydrates 93 g31%
Dietary Fiber 7 g28%
Sugars 45 g
Protein 5 g10%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 4304Calories from Fat 1296
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 144 g221.6%
Saturated Fat 56 g280%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 2600 mg108.32%
Total Carbohydrates 744 g248%
Dietary Fiber 56 g224%
Sugars 360 g
Protein 40 g80%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet