Since its cold, its the perfect weather for warm foods like soups, stews, and Shepherds Pie. Husband really loves Shepherds Pie. I do too. (Good that we both like it. Its a bummer when one person hates the dinner and the other is gobbling it down while making yum yum noises.) I love that its easy to tweak its a whatever veggies you have on hand kinda meal. You really could do a lot with it. I keep it kinda traditional, in that it has the ground beef and veggies layer, topped with mashed potatoes, and then sprinkled with cheese. But, if you wanted to, you could do polenta instead of potatoes, shredded chicken instead of ground beef, BBQ sauce instead of the balsamic sauce, corn and collard greens for the veggies Hey! I think I like that idea. With some cheddar biscuits on the side!? Im gonna make this sometime!
|Ground beef||1/2 Pound|
|Olive oil||1 1/2 Tablespoon|
|Broccoli raab||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs) (chopped)|
|Korean daikon radish||3/4 Cup (12 tbs) (diced or chopped)|
|Mustard greens||3/4 Cup (12 tbs) (leaves, chopped)|
|Carrots||2 (chopped, equivalent to 1 cup)|
|Cabbage||1 Cup (16 tbs) (chopped)|
|Roasted garlic||4 1/2 Clove (22.5 gm) (mashed)|
|Chili powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Smoked paprika||1/2 Teaspoon (plus more for topping)|
|Balsamic vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Dijon mustard||1 Teaspoon|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (add 1/4 cup more if needed)|
|Cheese||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (grated, additional 1/2 cup if needed)|
1. Pre-heat oven to 350F.
2. In an ovenproof skillet, cook beef. Drain (wipe out pan, if desired) and set aside.
3. Add olive oil to skillet and let it get hot. Add all veggies and seasonings except mustard greens and garlic. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, or until veggies are tender.
1. Whisk cornstarch with water, dijon, balsamic vinegar, and garlic.
2. Pour over veggies. Stir in beef and mustard greens, and cook for 10 minutes over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. If the liquid evaporates too much, add more water.
3. Remove from heat. Taste, and adjust seasonings if needed.
4. Spread the meat and veggies evenly in the pan (if you weren’t cooking in an oven safe skillet, now’s the time to transfer to a greased, ovenproof dish.)
5. Cover meat mixture with mashed potatoes. Top with cheese and sprinkle with smoked paprika.
6. Bake at 350F until the potatoes are hot (165F) and cheese is melted. With fresh, hot mashed potatoes, it should only be 10-15 minutes. With cold potatoes, it could be about 30-40 minutes (at least it was for me!).
1. Once potatoes are hot, remove from oven and serve.
Individual pies would also be a fun idea, especially for a dinner party! Great with a simple Green Salad, or Coleslaw.
**To roast garlic: Slice the top off a head of garlic. Drizzle with olive oil and wrap in foil. Bake at 350F for 45-60 minutes. Once it’s cool, squeeze garlic from skin.
Calories 390Calories from Fat 257
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 27 g41.5%
Saturated Fat 10 g50%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 689 mg28.71%
Total Carbohydrates 16 g5.3%
Dietary Fiber 3 g12%
Sugars 4 g
Protein 16 g32%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 1560Calories from Fat 1028
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 108 g166%
Saturated Fat 40 g200%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 2756 mg114.84%
Total Carbohydrates 64 g21.2%
Dietary Fiber 12 g48%
Sugars 16 g
Protein 64 g128%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet