I feel like I say this a lot but lemon meringue pie really is one of my favorite things in the entire world. I love the tartness of the lemon curd and the sweetness of the meringue. Its the perfect dessert for Spring or Summer and so much easier than you thought.
|Unbaked pie crust dough||9 Inch (pre made, 9" in diameter)|
|Heavy cream||1 Tablespoon|
|Cake flour||1/3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Corn starch||1/3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Cold water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Lemon zest||2 Tablespoon|
|Fresh lemon juice||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Butter||4 Tablespoon , cut in cubes|
|For the meringue|
|Egg whites||7 (For the Meringue)|
|Sugar||3/4 Cup (12 tbs) (For the Meringue)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon (For the Meringue)|
1. Preheat the oven to 400F.
2. In the pie dish, place the crust and press to line the dish, trim off the excess dough.
3. Using a fork prick the bottom and sides of the dough.
4. Brush the edges of the dough with cream.
5. Place the pie crust in the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until it is golden brown.
6. After 15 minutes remove the crust and allow to cool.
7. In a saucepan over high heat, put together the cake flour, corn-starch, sugar, and salt, and stir well to mix.
8. Slowly stream in the cold water, whisk continuously and bring to a boil, for about 5 minutes, until it thickens.
9. Once the flour mixture thickens take the pan off the heat.
10. In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks, add little of the hot mixture and whisk until well incorporated.
11. Pour the egg yolk mixture into the remaining hot mixture and whisk well.
12. Place the pan on low heat, cook the flour mixture stirring constantly for another 5 minutes.
13. In a clean bowl, transfer the flour mixture and mix in lemon zest, lemon juice and butter and allow to cool.
14. Pour the egg yolk mixture into the baked crust and flatten the top with a spatula.
15. Put the pie shell in refrigerator and allow to chill for about an hour.
16. Set the oven on broil.
17. In a large bowl, put together egg whites, sugar, and vanilla extract, and beat well using an electric beater, stiff peak consistency.
18. Using spatula, pile the meringue on the yolk mixture.
19. Place the pie in the broiler and broil it until completely browned on top, rotating the pie as it browns. You can also do this using a blowtorch.
20. Serve as desired.
Calories 513Calories from Fat 122
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14 g21.5%
Saturated Fat 7 g35%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 129 mg5.38%
Total Carbohydrates 93 g31%
Dietary Fiber 1 g4%
Sugars 76 g
Protein 7 g14%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 3078Calories from Fat 732
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 84 g129%
Saturated Fat 42 g210%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 774 mg32.28%
Total Carbohydrates 558 g186%
Dietary Fiber 6 g24%
Sugars 456 g
Protein 42 g84%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet