|For the filling:|
|Roasting chicken||3 1/2 Pound (1 Chicken, 1 1/2 Kilogram)|
|Matar||1/2 Pint (300 Milliliter)|
|Worcestershire sauce||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoons, 15 Milliliter Each)|
|Onion||1 , peeled and stuck with 1 cloves|
|Cloves||1 , stucked with onion|
|Carrot||1 , peeled and chopped|
|Ham||6 Ounce , cooked, diced (175 Gram)|
|For the pastry:|
|Flour||10 Ounce (275 Gram)|
|Butter||2 1/2 Ounce (65 Gram)|
|Lard||2 1/2 Ounce (65 Gram)|
|Water||60 Milliliter (4 Tablespoons, 15 Milliliter Each)|
|Milk/Beaten egg||1 Cup (16 tbs) (To Glaze, As Required)|
1. Preheat the oven at (200°C/400°F or Gas Mark 6).
To make the filling:
2. In a large pan put the chicken with all the other filling ingredients, except the ham.
3. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer gently for 50 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
4. Strain and reserve the stock.
5. Leave the chicken to cool, then remove the meat from the carcass and chop coarsely.
To make the pastry:
6. Into a bowl sift the flour and salt.
7. Rub in the fats until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs and add enough water to mix to firm dough.
8. On to a floured surface place the dough and knead lightly until smooth.
9. Cut off two-thirds of the dough and roll out to a 30 cm/12 inch circle.
10. Line a 20 cm/8 inch loose-bottomed cake tin with the rolled dough.
11. In the bottom of the pie, put half the chicken add the ham and cover with the remaining chicken.
12. Spoon over 3-4x15 ml spoons/3-4 tablespoons of the reserved stock.
13. Roll out the reserved dough to a 20 cm/8 inch circle for the lid.
14. Moisten the edges of the dough with water and cover the pie.
15. Trim and seal the edges.
16. Use any trimmings to decorate the top of the pie.
17. Cut an air vent in the centre of the pie.
18. If you wish to freeze the dish, do so at this stage. Open (flash) freeze until firm, then wrap in a freezer bag or foil. Seal label and return to the freezer.
19. To serve the frozen dish, remove wrappings and place on a baking sheet.
20. Brush with milk or beaten egg and bake in a preheated moderately hot oven for 30 minutes, then reduce the heat to moderate (180°C/350°F or Gas Mark 4) and bake for a further 40 minutes.
21. Cover with foil if the pastry becomes too brown.
22. Serve hot or cold.