|All purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs) , sifted|
|Shortening||1/3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Sharp process american cheese||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) , shredded|
|Cold water||3 Tablespoon|
|Unflavored gelatin||1/4 Ounce (1 envelope)|
|Sugar||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Orange juice||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1/3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Light cream||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dates||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs) , snipped|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 450 degrees.
2) Make the cheese pastry by sifting together the salt and flour.
3) Cut in 1/3rd cup of shortening.
4) Add the shredded American cheese and toss lightly.
5) Sprinkle cold water over the mixture very gradually, tossing with a fork till moistened.
6) On a floured surface, roll out the mixture to 1/8-inch.
7) Fit the rolled out mixture into an 8-inch pie plate. Ensure that the pastry is not stretched. Crimp the edges.
8) With a fork, prick the crust.
9) Bake in preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes.
10) Mix together the gelatin and ¼ cup sugar in a saucepan.
11) Beat together the fruit juices and egg yolks and stir into the gelatin mixture.
12) Cook and stir the concoction over medium heat, just till the mixture starts to boil and is slightly thick.
13) Allow the mixture to cool.
14) Add the cream, stir well and chill till the mixture is slightly thick.
15) Beat together the egg whites and a dash of salt till soft peaks start to form.
16) Gradually add ¼ cup if sugar and beat till stiff peaks are formed.
16) Fold the mixture into the gelatin mixture and then the date
17) Turn the concoction into the cooled pastry shell and chill till firm.
18) Serve the Date Chiffon Pie chilled as a dessert, or snack. Transfer the pie to a decorative serving platter and then serve.
Serving size Complete recipe
Calories 2851Calories from Fat 1241
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 140 g215.4%
Saturated Fat 58 g290%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 2477 mg103.21%
Total Carbohydrates 377 g125.7%
Dietary Fiber 25 g100%
Sugars 232 g
Protein 52 g104%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet