|To make 1 1/2 pound of pastry dough|
|All purpose flour||250 Gram|
|Corn starch||2 Tablespoon (Leveled)|
|Unsalted butter||250 Gram (Cold unsalted butter used)|
|Ice cold water||2/3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Lime juice||1 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1/4 Teaspoon (Optional)|
|Black pepper||1 Teaspoon (Optional)|
|Flour||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (For dusting)|
1. In a food processor, add the all purpose flour, corn starch, salt, black pepper & turmeric powder. Pulse the processor for a minute.
2. Add the butter (cut into pieces), small quantities at a time and pulse the processor again to incorporate it well into the flour.
3. Take 2/3 cup of water and add a teaspoon of lime juice to it. Add this water to the processor and pulse it again.
4. Remove the dough on to the counter and sprinkle some more flour on top and use your fingers to press the dough. Do not use your palm.
5. Once the dough is made into a ball, mold it into a square shape gently and wrap it up with a plastic kitchen wrap and refrigerate it for 30 minutes.
6. After 30 minutes, take the dough out of the refrigerator, unwrap it and roll it by sprinkling some flour over it.
7. Pound the dough initially till rolling is easy and then roll the dough to a 1/4-inch thick flat dough. Use a brush to brush off excess flour.
8. Roll the the dough as the chef demonstrates in the video to a 1/4-inch thickness and fold 6 times. Refrigerate the dough between each two or three turns or when needed for 30 minutes.
9. After 30 minutes, take out the dough and check if it is ready to bake, if its too thick, roll again one more time so that the dough is 1/4-inch thick.
10. Meanwhile preheat the oven to 400 F.
11. Once the dough is rolled and ready cut into square or rectangle shapes using a pizza cutter. You can also cut into circle using a cookie cutter.
12. After cutting the shapes out of the dough arrange them on a dusted baking tray and bake in the preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes. They can be flipped sides after 8 minutes and allowed to bake on the other side.
13. Once done, bring the temperature of the oven to the lowest, 170 F and slow bake again for 60 minutes for crunchy biscuits.
14. Serve warm with Indian Tea
If the dough is kneaded using your hands, then use shredded butter as it would incorporate well with the dough while kneading.
If desired you can use other spices such as cumin seeds, and carom seeds. You can also make regular pastry dough without adding any flavors.
All ingredients used in this recipe should be cold. The dough has to be cold while working on it at all times. If you feel the coldness wearing off, refrigerate it right away.
The entire dough need not be used immediately. Use as required and freeze the remaining wrapped in plastic wrap may be frozen. Allow 45 minutes of thawing time before baking frozen dough.
250 grams of all purpose flour + 2 tablespoons (levelled) of corn starch = 1 cup of cake flour
Calories 280Calories from Fat 181
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 21 g32.3%
Saturated Fat 12 g60%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 42 mg1.75%
Total Carbohydrates 21 g7%
Dietary Fiber %
Protein 3 g6%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 2800Calories from Fat 1810
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 210 g323%
Saturated Fat 120 g600%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 420 mg17.5%
Total Carbohydrates 210 g70%
Dietary Fiber 0 0%
Protein 30 g60%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet