|Pastry dough||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For 2 Crust Pie)|
|Granulated sugar||8 Tablespoon (3 Tablespoons Plus 1/3 Cup)|
|Granny smith apples||1 1/2 Pound , peeled, cored, and chopped (2 Large Sized)|
|Ground cinnamon||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Fresh lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
|Egg||1 Large , beaten|
|Confectioners sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Warm water||2 Tablespoon|
|Light corn syrup||2 Teaspoon|
|Vanilla extract||1/2 Teaspoon|
1. Prepare Pastry Dough as directed through chilling, but in Step 1, add 2 tablespoons granulated sugar along with flour.
2. In 10-inch skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add apples, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and salt; cook, stirring, until apples are tender, about 8 minutes. Add lemon juice; set aside to cool completely.
3. On lightly floured surface, with floured rolling pin, roll one disk of dough into round about 1/4 inch thick. Using 5-inch round plate as guide, cut out 5 dough rounds. Repeat with remaining dough; reroll trimmings. You should have 14 dough rounds in all.
4. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease two large cookie sheets.
5. Onto half of each dough round, place 1 heaping tablespoon apple filling; fold dough over filling. With fork tines, firmly press edges together to seal. Place turnovers, 2 inches apart, on prepared cookie sheets. With pastry brush, brush turnovers with beaten egg and sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon granulated sugar. Make two 1-inch slits in top of each turnover to allow steam to escape during baking. Bake 15 minutes.
6. Turn oven control to 350ºF. Bake until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes longer. Cool turnovers on wire racks.
7. Meanwhile, in small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, water, corn syrup, and vanilla; stir until smooth and spreadable. Drizzle icing over cooled turnovers; let set before serving.
Serving size Complete recipe
Calories 2749Calories from Fat 809
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 90 g138.5%
Saturated Fat 40 g200%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 1320 mg55%
Total Carbohydrates 483 g161%
Dietary Fiber 27 g108%
Sugars 314 g
Protein 14 g28%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet