Want to make cream puffs? profiteroles? or eclairs? Then this is the base recipe that you need to master. This is also called choux paste, or pate a choux.
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Butter||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) , sliced|
|All purpose flour||1 1/4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Egg||7 Medium (or more as needed)|
1) In a saucepan , combine water, salt, butter over a medium heat and bring to a simmer.
2) Just as the butter melts, stir in all the flour with a wooden spoon until the mixture forms a ball, pulls away from the sides and leaves a whitish film at the bottom of the pan.
3) In a large bowl, transfer the mixture and work with a wooden spoon to cool it down slightly.
4) Gradually work in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
5) The dough must be stiff enough to hold it’s shape when piped but still loose enough to pipe.
6) You have added enough eggs if the dough droops from a spoon held sideways.
7) Use the pate a choux to make cream puffs or eclairs or as desired.
Serving size Complete recipe
Calories 1816Calories from Fat 1090
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 123 g189.2%
Saturated Fat 67 g335%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 1415 mg58.96%
Total Carbohydrates 122 g40.7%
Dietary Fiber 4 g16%
Sugars 2 g
Protein 56 g112%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet