Most curry recipes are loaded with oil/ghee and I honestly also love to prepare curry with ghee but it is wise to reduce intake of oil as lot of Indian recipes are cooked with oil. So I thought of getting my hands on preparing curry with zero oil and voila, no difference in taste!
|1 cup Dry Black Eyed Peas|
|1 onion, optional|
|1 inch Ginger|
|3||4 cloves Garlic|
|Red chili powder to taste|
|Garam Masala to taste|
|1 tsp Coriander Cumin powder|
|Salt to taste|
|1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds, if desired. I add because no tempering option for this no oil recipe|
|Fresh Coriander leave(Hara Dhaniya) to garnish|
1. Wash and soak Black Eyed peas (or any Dry Beans) few hours.
2. Boil soaked beans into the pressure cooker with 2 cups water and little salt. Hear about 5-6 whistles. Double the number of whistles for unsoaked beans. It takes about 8-12 minutes on medium to high heat.
3. Turn of the stove, let cooker release all the pressure.
4. Open pressure cooker when cooled, take out the boiled beans into the same bowl used for soaking. Keep aside.
5. Into the same cooker pot, add roughly chopped onion, tomato, ginger, garlic, and Halid, salt as needed and little water.
6. Cook on the medium to high heat again and hear about 2 whistles only. Let cooker cool. When cooled open carefully. Vegetables will be soft and ready to blend with hand blender to make smooth gravy. Turn on the stove again on low to medium heat this time.
7. Add powdered spices and boiled beans to the gravy.
8. Cover and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
9. When ready to serve, garnish with Lemon juice and Coriander Leaves.
10. Serve with Rice or Roti. And enjoy guilt free curry!