We have a special guest today! Steve Howard from the "Grow Your Own Grub" podcast fame. I have been a big fan of his gardening podcast for awhile now. Originally from Texas, he has moved to my neck of the woods and we got together to make some Dutch oven Texas Style Pedernales chili and Broccoli, Jalapeno, Cheddar Cheese Cornbread!
|Whole milk||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cornbread mix||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Stoneground)|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm)|
|Cheddar cheese||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs) , divided|
|Frozen broccoli||5 Ounce (1/2 Bag)|
|Jalapeno||2 , seeded and minced|
|Cottage cheese||8 Ounce|
|Butter||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|For pedernales chill|
|Coarsely ground beef||2 Pound|
|Onion||1 Medium , chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm) , minced|
|Dried oregano||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cumin||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Chili powder||3 Teaspoon|
|Worchestershire sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Canned diced tomatoes||16 Ounce (1 Can / 1 1/2 Cup)|
|Hot sauce||4 Dash (Or To Taste)|
|Beef stock||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Prepare the charcoal chimney for sautéing the vegetables.
2. Prepare the dutch oven and keep it aside.
3. Prepare the batter by taking cornbread mix in a bowl. Crack the eggs into the cornmeal mix, pour milk, and drop in cottage cheese and 1 cup of cheddar cheese, mix the batter well.
2. Heat some butter in pan or skillet on the charcoal chimney. Sauté some onions and jalapeños for a couple of minutes. Add some garlic and broccoli and stir fry it.
4. Mix the cornbread batter with sautéed vegetables. and pour it over warmed butter in a dutch oven pan over. Put the lid on and arrange some charcoal over the top. 5. Let it bake for about 40 minutes. Remove the oven from the charcoal, lift the lid and add top it with the rest of the cheddar cheese. Remove the charcoal from lid and lace it back on for a couple of minutes.
For Pedernales Chili
1. Place a dutch oven over the charcoal and get it ready.
2. Cook minced beef in the oven until it changes color and starts to release water.
3. Drop in onion and garlic to the meat and cook until it starts to release aroma.
4. Add tomatoes and beef stock, cumin, oregano and chili powder and stir it well.
5. Enhance the flavor by adding Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce and pepper. Put the lid on and continue to cook for about an hour.
6. Slice the corn bread and serve it with chili topped with cheddar cheese.
Calories 870Calories from Fat 542
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 61 g93.8%
Saturated Fat 27 g135%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 1089 mg45.38%
Total Carbohydrates 44 g14.7%
Dietary Fiber 4 g16%
Sugars 5 g
Protein 40 g80%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 6960Calories from Fat 4336
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 488 g750.4%
Saturated Fat 216 g1080%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 8712 mg363.04%
Total Carbohydrates 352 g117.6%
Dietary Fiber 32 g128%
Sugars 40 g
Protein 320 g640%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet